Berry Desserts are always a hit with my family. Once seasonal berries hit the market, I start with strawberry shortcakes and continue with sweet creations all summer long. Today, I’m sharing the best berry desserts from the blog!
Best Berry Desserts
Local strawberries are the first to ripen, so a good strawberry shortcake is always on our June menu. From there, I make tarts, parfaits, and even cheesecakes topped with luscious, juicy strawberries. Scroll through and let me know your favorites!
How to Select the Best Strawberries
To pick out perfect strawberries for your desserts, use your eyes and nose. The tastiest strawberries will be totally red, without a green or white area near the stem. The tiny strawberry seeds should not be brown and dried, as this indicates older strawberries. Plus the berries should be glossy, not dull.
If your berries are in a plastic container, check the bottom to make sure there aren’t any moldy or bruised berries in the package. And you should also be able to detect the lovely aroma of fresh strawberries when they are fresh and ripe.
What’s the Best Way to Clean Strawberries?
Wait until an hour or so before you start cooking to wash off your berries. Moisture will accelerate their deterioration. Gently rinse them off in a colander and after letting them drain, pat them dry with paper toweling. Alternatively, if you’re worried about pesticide residue, you can soak them for 20 minutes in a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water. Drain and pat dry.
More Strawberry Recipes You’ll Love:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Mascarpone Filled Strawberries
- Strawberry Topped Chocolate Tart
- Easy Strawberry Mousse
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry Eton Mess
- Classic Strawberry Shortcakes
- Strawberry Cream Pie
When the raspberries are plump and sweet, it’s time to explore all the amazing raspberry-based desserts. A raspberry sauce is perfect with a flourless chocolate cake, but we really love a raspberry pie. What berry recipes do you like to make?
When picking out berries for your raspberry recipes, look for plump, unmarred berries that are brightly colored with a slightly hazy cast. Like with strawberries, inspect all sides of the packaging for spoiled berries.
How to Freeze Raspberries and Other Berries
If you hit a berry patch or a local farmers’ market and purchase too many berries, it’s easy to freeze them for later. With raspberries, you’ll want to rinse them first and let them dry on a dishcloth or paper toweling. I like to first freeze them on a sheet pan, then transfer the frozen berries to a freezer-safe ziptop bag. Like raspberries, blackberries are very fragile and can be frozen in the same manner.
Strawberries can be frozen like raspberries, either whole or cut in half. Blueberries should not be rinsed first, as this can toughen the skins. Note that most frozen berries will be soft and juicy after they’re defrosted, but can still be used to make pies, crumbles, crisps, smoothies, fruit sauces, and more.
More Delicious Raspberry Recipes:
- Raspberry Lemon Cake from The View from Great Island
- Peach Raspberry Galette
- Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits
- Fresh Raspberry Crisp
- Peach Raspberry Crisp
- Raspberry Filled White Chocolate Bars
- Coeur a la Creme with Raspberry Sauce
- Lattice Topped Peach Raspberry Pie
- Raspberry Topped Mini Cheesecakes
Mixed Berries, Blackberry and Blueberry Recipes
To shake things up, use a mixture of berries. Doesn’t a tart with concentric circles of gorgeous fragrant berries make a stunning statement? Click through to see what magical mixture of berries is needed to create a mouthwateringly wonderful Razzleberry Pie.
More Mixed Berry, Blackberry and Blueberry Recipes
- Blueberry Hand Pies from Grandbaby Cakes
- Blackberry Pie from Simply Recipes
- Summer Berry Cheesecake Salad from Slow Roasted Italian
- Easy Mixed Berry Cobbler
- Berry Shortcakes
- Blueberry Peach Custard Pie
- Lattice Topped Blueberry Pie
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler
- Rustic Berry Turnovers
- Individual Berry Crisps
- Blueberry Streusel Bars
- Peach Blueberry Galette
- Blackberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars
Plus More Berry Recipes You’ll Love:
- Boozy Strawberry Watermelon Slushies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Blueberry Bars from Cooking in Stilettos
- Red White and Blue Cake from A Dash of Sanity
- More of the Best Dessert Recipes
- More of the Best Pie Recipes
This post was first shared in June 2016. Photos and text were updated in 2020.