These Rustic Berry Turnovers will tickle your taste buds and are perfect to eat any time of day! Fill the buttery pastry with your favorite berry and get prepared for rave reviews!
Rustic Berry Turnovers
I love adding the word “rustic’ to my dessert titles. Basically it gives permission to show filling oozing, crusts cracking, but still utterly delicious treats. In this case, the juicy berry filling was encased in a tender butter pastry crust. After 30 minutes in the oven, the result was twelve fabulously delicious mini pies. Or at least that’s the comment I got after hubby ate his first rustic berry turnover in just three bites.
My crusts weren’t perfectly sealed, but that’s the beauty of a “rustic” turnover. The berry juices bubbling out are just part of their charm. And the options are endless. My youngest was searching for a peach one in the pile, but to no avail. That version will be on my baking list later this summer! Apple turnovers are one of my favorite autumn treats as well.
Progressive Eats Cookout!
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. Our menu this month features cookout recipes! We had a lot of fun creating them, and hope you’ll enjoy trying them, too. Our event is hosted by Jenni who blogs at Pastry Chef Online. Our menu includes everything from appetizers to sides, an entree, and of course some desserts so we can finish on a sweet note.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
- Loaded Baked Potatoes from The Redhead Baker
- Indian Grilled Corn on the Cob – Street Style Bhutta from Spice Roots
- Blue Cheese Bison Burger with Bacon Caramelized Onions from Creative Culinary
- Fresh Fruit Salad with Bourbon-Orange Syrup (Gluten-Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Homemade Baked Beans from Food Hunter’s Guide
- Blueberry Peach Pandowdy from Pastry Chef Online
- Rustic Berry Turnovers from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rum-Glazed Grilled Bananas from Mother Would Know
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- 2 cups (9 ounces) flour
- 14 tablespoons (7 ounces) cold butter, each tablespoon cut in half
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh berries
- Milk, to brush on and seal pastry
- In food processor, combine all pastry ingredients and pulse until dough starts to clump together. Remove to counter and gather dough together. Flatten into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Gently toss the berries with 2 tablespoons sugar, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300º. Cover one or two rimmed cookie sheets with parchment.
- Roll out one pastry disk on floured surface to about ⅛ inch thickness. Cut out six 4-inch rounds with biscuit cutter. Using spatula move one dough round to prepared sheet. Place about one tablespoon of berries on one side of round. Brush edges with milk and fold other side of dough over berries. Use fingers or fork to seal edges. Repeat with the rest of the rounds. Then repeat with second disk of dough. Refrigerate turnovers for at least 15 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Brush turnovers with milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or till golden brown. Cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can make half with one berry and half with another like I did. Just put the berries in separate bowls and mix half the filling ingredients into each bowl (1 tablespoon sugar for each since the last tablespoon will be used to sprinkle over the dough before baking).
Serving Size:1 turnover
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 324mg Carbohydrates: 12g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g