This classic coleslaw with buttermilk dressing is close to my mom’s copycat Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe. I could eat a whole batch in one sitting, but I paced myself and enjoyed it over pulled pork and more!
Classic Coleslaw with Buttermilk Dressing
Growing up, we seldom were treated to a fast food dinner. What a tortured childhood. My mom did succumb every now to our pleas and would send my dad out for carry out Kentucky Fried Chicken. She adored their coleslaw.
She tried to recreate it numerous times. Back before we had the Internet, she relied on the food section of the Des Moines Register and her network of friends for new recipes. I think she came pretty close but I haven’t been able to locate that recipe in her vast collection of cards and clippings. This Classic Coleslaw with Buttermilk Dressing reminds me of that childhood slaw, whether carry out or homemade!
A Perfect Picnic Salad Recipe
When one of my foodie friends shared this copycat KFC coleslaw recipe, I thought of my sweet mom and all the amazing non-fast food recipes she’s shared with me over the years. More commonly seen as a summer side salad for picnics or the topper for a pulled pork sandwich, there is no reason to wait until July to put this on your menu.
I followed the recipe as directed except for adding a bit of celery seed as a personal preference. I must confess that I had no competition for this slaw from my family. From polite no thank yous, to eewwwws when I suggested it as a sandwich topper, I was perfectly content having the whole batch to myself. Sometimes having a picky family works in one’s favor.
More Slaw Recipes You’ll Love:
- Creamy Apple Slaw from Spend with Pennies
- Asian Cole Slaw from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spicy Mango Slaw from Foodie with Family
- Easy Coleslaw Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spicy Mexican Slaw with Lime and Cilantro from Kalyn’s Kitchen
You may need these supplies to make this classic coleslaw recipe with buttermilk dressing:
Classic Buttermilk Coleslaw that tastes like the KFC version!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Shred carrots and cabbage to the size of your choice (KFC’s version is finely shredded). Alternatively, you can buy a bag or two of the cole slaw veggies ready to go.
- Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and celery seed in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.
Recipe courtesy of my friend, Mile High Baker.