This easy coleslaw recipe can be put together in minutes. Dotted with vibrant dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts, it’s a crowd pleasing side dish!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe without Mayo
Brisket was on the menu, and though the recipe offered a grilled option, it was below zero with the windchill, and only the dog was going outside! I’ve made this easy coleslaw recipe for years as the proportions are so simple, I never need to look up the recipe. It pairs deliciously as an easy side dish with foods like BBQ beef and Cajun smoked ribs, as well as pulled pork and Texas-style beef brisket.
A Simple Slaw Recipe
All you need to remember is that that the majority of the ingredients are measured with a 1/3 measuring cup! A bag of coleslaw mix, then 1/3 cup of craisins, walnuts, sugar, vinegar and oil. I like to add 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed, too. Now isn’t that a snap to prepare?
And without mayo, it’s perfect to take on a picnic as there’s less danger of a foodborne illness. Another reason you need to add this easy coleslaw recipe to your menu soon! I served this as a topper to my Oven Braised Texas Brisket.
What else do you like in your coleslaw??? Do you prefer a mayo base or a vinegar base?
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
A super easy coleslaw recipe with a vinaigrette dressing
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package coleslaw mix (16 ounces), or a mixture of shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1/3 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Place coleslaw mix in a serving bowl. Mix in craisins and walnuts.
- In another bowl whisk together sugar and vinegar. Continue whisking as you drizzle in the oil. Mix in the celery seed.
- Toss the coleslaw mix with dressing and serve. If you like a wilted coleslaw, refrigerate for an hour before serving.
Recipe adapted fromMarion Cunningham.