My interest was piqued when a dear friend raved about a salad she recently made. Needless to say, I made this amazing Spicy Mexican Corn Salad immediately after she revealed her source!
We love using local corn in so many recipes like this Grilled Corn on the Cob with Basil Butter, so make sure to pick up some fresh corn when it’s in season!
Spicy Mexican Corn Salad
I found my inspiration from Mario Batali’s Mexican Street Corn Salad on The Chew’s website. I tweaked it sightly, eliminating the radishes and adding cucumber and red bell pepper to replace the crunch. I also cut back on the cayenne pepper as the hubby has a “sensitive” palate when it comes to heat. Though, I would have been happy to eat his share. It is one amazing summer salad made with lightly steamed, fresh sweet corn cut off the cob and, along with other vegetables, tossed in a spicy, mayonnaise based dressing. This Spicy Mexican Corn Salad is probably one of the top 3 recipes I’ve made this summer.
Tips for Making Corn Salad
- This salad is best made at the peak of corn season so you can utilize fresh, sweet corn on the cob.
- Use steamed, roasted or grilled corn on the cob for this recipe.
- Be careful cutting the corn off the cob. I like to hold an ear of corn upright, then slice downward to remove the kernels into a bowl.
- Cut as close to the cob as you can get so you can have full kernels for your recipe. I also love to add some larger pieces of connected kernels, though feel free to break them apart if desired.
- PRO-Tip: One trick is to use a tube or angel food cake pan to collect your corn. Place the small end of the corn cob in the middle opening of the pan, then slice downwards. Most of the kernels should collect in the pan.
- Remember that this spicy Mexican corn salad has a mayonnaise base for the dressing. You do not want to leave it out at room temperature (or warmer if you’re outside) for more than two hours. Keep it chilled until you’re ready to serve to avoid food borne illnesses AKA food poisoning.
More Corn Recipes You’ll Love:
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Corn Salad Recipe from Wonky Wonderful
- Grilled Corn Salad with Avocado and Tomato from Well Plated
- Fiesta Corn Dip
- Sour Cream Corn Dip
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Corn on the Cob with Shallot Thyme Butter
- Fresh Corn Pancakes
- Buttermilk Corn Muffins
- Corn Chowder
- Salad Recipes
Used in This Recipe:
- Kuhn Rikon 10-Inch French Wire Whisk
- Wusthof Classic 6-inch Wave Knife
- 10 Piece Nesting Glass Mixing Bowl Set
- OXO Non-Slip Cutting Board
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ears of corn, cooked, cooled, and kernels removed
- 1/2 medium red onion (peeled, small diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled, minced)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil and onion. Cook until onion is soft. Stir in the minced garlic,cook for a minute or two and remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add the onion mixture, corn, grape tomatoes, cucumbers and red bell pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime zest and juice, cayenne pepper, ground chipotle pepper and salt.
- Add dressing to corn mixture and toss. Serve chilled.