In the peak of fresh corn season, I couldn’t bear to use a can of cream corn. I tweaked this Dorie Greenspan recipe, used local sweet corn, and created these scrumptious Fresh Corn Pancakes.
Fresh Corn Pancakes
I’m finally back on track with my fellow Doristas, and this week’s recipe was a crowd pleaser. Dorie first fell in love with these corn pancakes in a French country inn decades ago, but didn’t see them in the states till celebrity chef Jean-Georges whipped them up for her.
This simple batter was created by putting a drained can of corn (or in my case, 2 cups of defrosted frozen corn or fresh sweet corn in the summer), flour, eggs and salt in a food processor and pulsing until pureed. Tablespoons of batter were sautéed to a light golden brown. Easy peasy.
Savory Corn Cakes
I just couldn’t bear the thought of using canned vegetables (does this make me a food snob???). I think a few servings of gray canned peas during my childhood ruined canned veggies for my lifetime! I love the plethora of gorgeous vegetables available in the summer, and I could live off dishes like this amazing Summer Vegetable Torte.
Defrosted corn was a fabulous alternative on my first attempt. If you wanted to use fresh corn to make your corn cakes, make sure to cook it first. The latter was even more delicious! I enhanced mine with crème fraîche, smoked salmon, and a few capers, and created an amazing appetizer. Just plain, these fresh corn pancakes are a delectable accompaniment to so many entrées. Move over mashed potatoes, these fresh corn pancakes are in town! And if you’re looking for a great casserole, this Cheesy Corn Casserole looks easy AND delicious!
Used in This Recipe:
- Wusthof Classic 6-inch Wave Knife (Perfect for cutting corn off the cob)
- Nutri Ninja| Ninja Blender Duo with Auto-iQ (BL642) (A powerhouse blender without the price tag of deluxe versions)
- Medium Cookie Scoop (Helps dish out the same amount of batter for every pancake)
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Tomato Eggplant Zucchini Bake with Garlic and Parmesan from Well Plated
- Asian Green Beans from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tomato Basil Summer Veggie Casserole from The Food Charlatan
- Summer Vegetable Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Veggie Lover’s Greek Pasta Salad from Foodie with Family
Fresh Corn Pancakes
An adaptation of a Dorie Greenspan recipe for delicious corn pancakes. Perfect for summer corn, but there are alternatives to enjoy all year long!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: French
- 2 cups fresh, cooked corn (I steamed 2–3 ears of corn, then removed from the cob)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- Creme fraiche, smoked salmon, capers, dill, for serving, optional.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a tray with paper toweling.
- Place corn, eggs, flour and salt in a blender and process until thick and smooth.
- Add a few tablespoons of oil to a non-stick skillet and heat over a medium-high heat. When oil is hot, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil. Cook for a few minutes until browned, then flip and cook until the other side is lightly browned as well.
- Remove to tray and cover with foil and place in oven to keep warm.
- Serve with creme fraiche, smoked salmon, capers and dill or your favorite toppings.
Fit and Fabulous Fridays~Pink Saturday~