Gruyere Potato Cakes
These Gruyere Potato Cakes are a splendid side dish on their own or tasty appetizer topped with creme fraiche, herbs, and even smoked salmon.
Lambeau, our furry family member, loves when I break out the potato peeler. Some of her most coveted treats are carrots, sweet potatoes, and the recently discovered potato peels. Luckily, this favorite side dish produced lots of snacks! My family prefers these Gruyere Potato Cakes ungarnished, but they are lovely with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives. I ate one for breakfast with a smear of creme fraiche, a slice of smoked salmon and a sprig of fresh dill. Boy was that fabulous!!!
Since these potato patties have no egg to bind, they are tender and delicious as can be. But you need to take care when sauteing these babies as they are quite delicate. Use a very good non-stick pan (I’ve been enjoying these red T-fal Nonstick 8-Inch and 10.25-Inch Fry Pans Cookware, 2-Piece Set you can find using my Amazon affiliate link or at your local Target). Make sure the oil is hot before adding the potato cakes. Once they’ve cooked a bit, jiggle the pan to loosen the bottom crust from the pan. Cook until the bottom is a deep golden brown, then carefully flip and repeat on the other side.
- 2 pounds potatoes, Yukon Gold, , peeled
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese (Asiago works well, too)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- Cut potatoes into large chunks and gently boil in salted water till tender. Drain and push through ricer (or mash well till smooth). Mix in olive oil, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Form 1/4 cup sized patties, and fry in olive oil till brown on one side. Carefully flip and fry till brown on second side. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche and sprinkle of chives if desired. For an appetizer, add a piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of dill.
For an appetizer, try using a dollop of creme fraiche, a sprig of dill and a thin slice of smoked salmon.
Serving Size:1 potato cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Photo circa 2010 (Lambeau waiting for spillage).