This Loaded Baked Potato Soup is perfect for your fall entertaining! Hearty and delicious with toppings of bacon, sour cream and cheese will please your family and your guests.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Tips for Making Baked Potato Soup
- Russet potatoes work well for this baked potato soup instead of a waxy yellow or red potato.
- Steak houses typically use russet potatoes when they serve a baked potato with your beef.
- You can tweak potato soup by mixing in your favorite baked potato toppings.
- I usually go with sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, bacon and chives or scallions.
- Feel free to saute a few cloves of garlic to make a garlicky baked potato soup. Think of the toppings you enjoy on a baked potato or potato skins. The possibilities are endless.
Give this loaded baked potato soup a try. My countdown to spring has begun. How about you?
More Hearty Soups You’ll Love:
- Hearty Italian Vegetable Beef Soup from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Tomato Tortellini Soup from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Beef Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Jambalaya Soup
- Tuscan Sausage Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Gumbo
- More Soup Recipes
Baked Potato Soup
A creamy potato soup garnished like a baked potato!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Baking, Simmering
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced onion, softened in water
- 6 cups milk
- 1/2–1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon, sliced scallions or chives, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- Wash potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake at 400º for one hour or till soft. When cool enough to handle, cut in half and remove pulp.
- Melt butter in large pan. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Gradually add milk while stirring; cook over medium heat till thick and bubbly.
- Add reserved pulp, salt and pepper, onions, and cheese. Heat thoroughly, adding extra milk to thin if necessary. Recheck seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed
- Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired.
- Calories: 863kcal
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 897mg
- Fat: 43g
- Saturated Fat: 26g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 97g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 119mg