The combination of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries plus a crumb topping make for a scrumptious Razzleberry Pie! A triple berry pie recipe only magnifies the delectable flavor profile!
Razzleberry Pie AKA Triple Berry Pie
Once in a blue moon, my mom would treat us to a dessert from the grocery store. Pound cake, frosted fudge cake and one of our favorites, razzleberry pie. Our taste buds loved that pie!
What exactly is a razzleberry you might ask?? Well you won’t find these in a berry patch, but instead, this mythical berry occurs only when a mixture of raspberries, blackberries and sometimes even blueberries make their way into a pie. A what a magnificent pie these “berries” make!
A Razzleberry Pie for Bill
I wasn’t in the cheeriest mood, but I felt like baking. I asked the hubby what he’d like for dessert. I hoped he would suggest the ubiquitous chocolate chip bars,a treat I could bake blindfolded. And a little cookie dough would certainly lift the doldrums.
But, no, instead he offered blueberry pie as his request. In the middle of winter. When blueberries come in teeny, outrageously expensive containers. And I’d need to roll out a pie crust. Ugh. I got to thinking about that childhood triple berry pie—Bill would eat that! And a crumb topping would eliminate the need for that pesky top crust!
A Triple Berry Winner!
Within minutes of popping this baby in the oven, Bill was deeply inhaling the aroma coming from the kitchen. It must have been the butter and cinnamon in the crumb topping, but a half hour later, it was the warmed berries that tantalized my senses. Bill was a happy camper with his after-dinner slice of this razzleberry pie, but I’ll probably need to make him that blueberry pie eventually.
Guest Post for Manu
I am pleased as punch to be sharing this recipe with my lovely friend, Manu, who resides on the other side of the world from me. It’s still hard to fathom how close I’ve become to numerous bloggers I’ve never even met, especially those who were newbies to the blogging world when I was. Manu and I met through Daring Bakers early in both our blogging days, and I became a quick admirer of her fabulous Italian dishes and more.
Her genuine good nature shines through in her posts—and her photography and recipes are top notch. Pop over to her blog and check out my triple berry pie recipe and check out her wonderful site, Manu’s Menu. Thanks, Manu, for inviting me to share a recipe on your blog today!Print
A delectable triple berry pie with a crumb topping
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- 1 homemade or store bought pie crust
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Place the berries a colander over a large bowl and let thaw.
- Make crumb topping by mixing together flour, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix in melted butter till combined. Set aside.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with a pastry crust. Refrigerate while prepping filling and topping.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Take one cup of berry mixture and add them along with the sugar to a saucepan. Cook over low heat till they start to boil.
- Mix cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of water and add to the fruit along with about a half cup of berry juices from the bowl beneath the colander. Bring to a boil and cook till mixture thickens and becomes clear.
- Pour berries from the colander into a bowl. Mix in thickened berries and juices, then pour the berry mixture into pie crust. Crumble topping over filling.
- Bake at 375º for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 350º and bake another 45 minutes till filling is bubbling. Cover with foil if topping starts to get too dark.
- Let cool an hour or more before serving.
Allow additional time for thawing berries.
If your berries aren’t very juicy, you may want to decrease your cornstarch to 3 tablespoons.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- The Best Four Berry Pie Recipe from Foodie Crush
- Freeze and Bake Blueberry Pie
- Easy Blueberry Pie Recipe from She Wears Many Hats
- Mile High Strawberry Pie Dessert
- Mini Deep Dish Berry Pies from Saving Room for Dessert