This Simple Strawberry Pie, made with a fresh berry glaze, will be the first dessert to disappear at your next summer picnic or gathering!
With a buttery pastry crust filled with glazed berries, the flavorful strawberries are the star of the show! This Fresh Strawberry Pie is pure berry deliciousness as it’s made without Jello.
Simple Strawberry Pie
I’ve made those fresh strawberry pies with a jello glaze in a pinch, but the artificial flavor and color detract from the deliciousness of ripe summer berries. This fresh strawberry pie is the second I’ve tested this summer and the obvious winner.
This simple strawberry pie should be made at the peak of strawberry season when the berries are sweet, ripe and juicy. With no other ingredients to disguise the strawberry flavor, you definitely want the best of the best berries.
How to Pick the Best Strawberries
You’ve all probably encountered hard, flavorless strawberries a time or two. Here are some tips for selecting the best strawberries.
First, you should smell the sweet aroma of strawberries when you near the display at the supermarket or farmers’ market. That is your number one cue that the berries are fresh and ripe. If you detect no strawberry scent, your berries will have no flavor.
Next, inspect them for good coloration and the absence of bruises. Your strawberries should be red and the stem ends should not be pale or white, indicating they were picked before fully ripe.
Also, inspect the strawberry seeds. If they’re brown, the berries are old. The red berry skin should have a bit of a sheen which indicates freshness.
If your strawberries are in a clear plastic box, flip it over to see if there are any bruised or mushy spots or even mold. These sorts of berries are already deteriorating.
Tips for Making a Fresh Strawberry Pie
A buttery homemade pie crust is the perfect vessel for this simple strawberry pie. But if making a pastry crust is out of your comfort zone, feel free to use a store-bought crust. Just bake and cool either option before filling.
Now that you know how to select the best strawberries, make sure you purchase perfectly ripe, luscious and fragrant berries for this pie. If you have access to local berries, that’s your best bet.
Note: This pie is best eaten on the day it is made and within 5 hours of chilling. To streamline the process, you can make and bake your crust the day before you make the pie. The strawberry puree can also be made ahead of time. Just cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
With all the large pieces of strawberries filling the pie, it’s tough to cut perfect slices. Having some sweetened whipped cream to dollop on each slice will detract from any slicing imperfections!
More Berry Dessert Recipes:
- Strawberry Topped Cheesecake
- Fresh Fruit Pizza
- Raspberry Filled White Chocolate Bars
- Streusel Topped Raspberry Squares
- Mile High Strawberry Pie Dessert
- Strawberry Souffles
- Blueberry Pie
- More Pies and Tarts Recipes
- More Dessert Recipes
- One baked pie crust
- 3 pounds fresh strawberries, gently rinsed and dried, hulled
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons Sure-Jell for low-sugar recipes (the pink box)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add 6 ounces of your strawberries to your food processor, process the berries till smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, Sure-Jell, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in the berry puree. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, and bring to a full boil. Boil, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a heat proof spatula, for a full 2 minutes to thicken. Remove to a large bowl and stir in lemon juice. Let cool to room temperature.
- Pick out 2 pounds of the best looking berries from those remaining. Cut the larger strawberries in half or quarters. Add the berries to the bowl with the glaze and gently toss until the berries are coated. Pile into the pie shell, arranging the berries cut side down for a nice presentation. Refrigerate pie until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream if desired.
Total time does not include cooling or chilling times.
Best served within 5 hours of chilling.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 109mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g