How to Make Brownies
Here you will find all the information for How to Make Brownies plus some of the Best Brownie Recipes you’ll ever make or eat.
From Easy One Bowl Brownies to more complicated Brownie Recipes, it’s great to have a number of delicious options in your repertoire!
What’s Your Favorite Type of Brownie?
Do you prefer fudgy brownies, cakey brownies, or a special gourmet brownie? Or will you eat any kind of brownie recipe? I’m on team fudgy but let me know your favorite so I can tally up my readers’ favorite brownies. Click this LINK to vote!
How to Make Brownies
- First, select a recipe for the type of brownie you want to make.
- Read through it thoroughly, noting equipment and ingredients you may need to purchase.
- Set eggs, butter, cream cheese, etc. out on the counter to bring to room temperature unless directed otherwise.
- Preheat oven.
- Prepare pan as directed.
- Prep ingredients like toasting nuts, chopping chocolate, etc.
- Mix with the method suggested in the recipe, by hand or with a mixer.
- Fold or stir in the flour to minimize gluten activation.
- Scrape the batter from the bowl into the baking dish.
- Bake as directed.
- Check for doneness, and remove to a cooling rack when done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Slice and dive in!!!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Fudgy and Cakey Brownies Differ?
Why do brownies turn out fudgy? It’s all food chemistry. Fudgy brownies have less flour, more butter, and no baking powder. The butter is often melted instead of being creamed with sugar. It’s all in the ratio of flour to fat. The fat comes from butter, egg yolks, and chocolate. The fat to flour ratio is crucial. Fudgy Brownies have a higher fat to flour ratio.
Cakey Brownies, on the other hand, have more flour, less butter, and a leavening agent like baking powder. Like with a cake, the sugar is creamed with butter which incorporated air into the batter. The air along with the leavening helps the batter rise creating a more cake-like result. Cakey Brownies have a lower fat to flour ratio than fudgy brownies. And they utilize baking powder to leaven.
Note, there are also the categories of Chewy Brownies and Blondies. See below for how to make a chewy brownie.
Blondies can be cakey or chewy and are bars made with brown sugar, butter, eggs, and flour with add-ins like nuts, chocolate chips, flavorings, etc. But there is no chocolate in the batter, making them blonde instead of dark brown.
How Do You Make a Chewy Homemade Brownie?
Find a recipe that uses vegetable oil. The addition of oil is why box brownie mix brownies tend to be chewy.
Also, replace some or all of the white sugar with brown sugar. Brown sugar speeds up gluten formation which creates a chewier brownie.
Chewy Brownies may have an extra egg and two kinds of chocolate, such as semisweet and unsweetened. Adding unsweetened chocolate with its higher proportion of starches makes a stiffer batter, therefore chewier brownies (according to C&H Sugar’s website).
Are Brownies Better in a Glass or Metal Pan?
Metal baking pans work best for baking brownies. Glass is an insulator, so it takes longer for the oven’s heat to get to the middle of the brownies. This can result in the edges being overcooked to get the center cooked.
What's the Best Way to Slice Brownies?
To make it easier to cut your brownies, once they’re cooled, cover and chill. Once they’re cold, remove them from the pan to a cutting board (this is where lining the pan with foil comes in handy to lift the brownies out).
Use a hot, dry knife to slice into squares. Run it under hot water or briefly run the blade through the flame of a gas burner.
Use a ruler or just eye it to cut the brownies into nice squares, but make sure to keep your knife clean so that the slices are neat and clean.
Tips for Making Perfect Brownies
Of course, perfect depends on whether you want fudgy, cakey, or chewy brownies. Here are some of the best tips for helping you make the Best Brownie Recipes.
- Read through the recipe before you start. Then read it again. Do you have all the ingredients? The right size pan?
- Prepare your pan properly. PRO-Tip: Instead of greasing or greasing and flouring the pan, try nonstick foil which provides a sling to help you remove the brownies to a cutting board when cooled. Plus due to its non-stick surface, the foil peels right off the brownies.
- PRO-Tip: If you’re making cakey brownies, check your baking powder. It most often expires before you use it all. If you’d like to be extra cautious, put a spoonful in a cup of very hot water. If it bubbles vigorously, it’s active. If not, replace it to be safe.
- Note: Baking powder is not the same as baking soda. If you’re a new baker, check your labels.
- Have your eggs at room temperature. They will incorporate best if not cold.
- Other ingredients like butter (if not melted), sour cream, cream cheese, etc. Should also be at room temperature.
Best Frosted Brownie Recipes
- Grinch Brownies with Ganache Frosting from Marathons and Motivation
- Fudge Topped Brownies
- Frosted Brownies Recipe
- Chocolate Syrup Brownies
- Ganache Topped Cosmic Brownies
Best Fudgy Brownie Recipes
- Homemade Brownies from Together As Family
- Smore’s Brownies from Crayons and Cravings
- The Best Brownies in the World from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Brownie Tart
- Chocolate Glazed Walnut Brownies
- Simple Fudgy Brownies
- David Lebovitz’s Best Fudgy Brownies
- Truffle Brownies
- One Bowl Fudgy Brownies
Best Cakey Brownie Recipes
- Classic Cakey Brownies from Cupcake Project
- Double Dark Chocolate Brownies from The Noshery
- Birthday Brownies from Snappy Gourmet
- Homemade Brownies from All Things Mama
- Raspberry Chambord Brownies
Unique Brownie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Ricotta Cheesecake Brownies
- Turtle Brownies
- Milky Way Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- German Chocolate Brownies
- Fudgy Skillet Brownie
Other Brownie Recipes
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Brownies from Lana’s Cooking
- Chocolate Brownie Cake from Play Party Plan
- Pumpkin Brownies from Berly’s Kitchen
- Microwave Brownie Mug from Happy Deal, Happy Day
- Keto Red Velvet Brownies from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caramel Chocolate Brownies
- 20+ Brownie Recipes
- Plus, all my Best Brownie Recipes