Fudge Topped Brownies
Fudge Topped Brownies: Brownies with a fudgy frosting make for the ultimate, chocolate lover’s treat. An easy way to serve a crowd!
This Moist Brownie Recipe is capped off with the same combination of chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk that is in some of my fudge recipes! It truly makes the best and easiest Fudge Frosting.
Why You Should Make
- Everyone loves fudgy brownies!
- Even better is brownies with frosting!!
- These are an easy way to satisfy any chocoholic’s cravings!
Moist Brownie Recipe
I first shared this recipe in 2013 when I had LOTS of chocolate to bake up for our Decorators’ Show House party preview party. I volunteer for this marvelous organization that raises funds for our county hospital. 30+ interior decorators transformed an empty house into a dream home with the latest designer trends. That was the year we all worked on the Historic Schnull-Rauch home just north of downtown Indianapolis. But we got to throw a party before all the work begins.
Guess who volunteered to bring chocolate dessert for 75? I don’t think anyone is surprised…yup, me. I baked up this Fudgy Brownie Recipe with a decadent frosting that is just poured on top of the hot brownies. The layer of chocolate frosting locked in the brownie’s moisture and sealed the deal on deliciousness.
Fudgy Brownies for the Chocoholic
Bill sampled the edges as I trimmed these into bars for the serving platter. He nodded with approval and shoveled in a few more shards. And more than one guest told me these were the BEST brownies they had ever eaten, the ultimate compliment.
These brownies were served along with squares of Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies and Death by Chocolate Cookies. If you try these fudgy brownies, your sweet tooth will thank me, even if your waistline won’t.
Tips for Making the Best Brownies
- Line your baking pan with either parchment or non-stick foil. This will help prevent the brownies from sticking to the sides of the pan and also provide a way to lift the cooled brownies out of the pan onto a cutting board to slice.
- See my recipe for Cosmic Brownies for tips on How to Cut Brownies.
- Follow the directions for your specific recipe. Spread the batter out evenly in the pan using an offset spatula.
- Bake and check your brownies at least 5 minutes before the timer goes off to prevent overbaking.
- For these brownies, start making the frosting before they’re finished baking.
- I used chocolate chips and needed to whisk them vigorously to make a smooth frosting. If you happen to have some semi-sweet chocolate bars, those would melt more smoothly, but both will taste great.
- Chill before cutting.
What Makes Brownies Fudgy?
Our family is on team Fudgy, though I’m sure they’d eat a cakey brownie in a pinch. If you compare a recipe for fudgy brownies with a recipe for cakey brownies, you’ll see some differences, especially in the ratio of fat to flour. Here’s what to look for:
- Check out the fat-to-flour ratio. The fat is usually butter, but occasionally oil. There should be more fat than flour in a fudgy recipe. A cakey brownie has more flour than fat, often with a leavening agent like baking powder.
- This brownie recipe has equal amounts of butter and flour, but there is also heavy cream and eggs which both contribute more fat.
- Look for brown sugar in the recipe. Brown sugar is basically white sugar with molasses added. The molasses adds extra moisture to the recipe.
- Not overbaking. If you want moist, fudgy brownies, check them as soon as you start smelling the aroma of baked brownies in your kitchen or at least 5 minutes before the timer goes off.
- Check the brownies with a toothpick. When you pull the toothpick out from the middle of the brownies, there shouldn’t be any batter on it, just some moist crumbs. The brownies will also have pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- A nice layer of frosting seals in the moisture, too, keeping the brownies fudgy.
You May Also Like
- The Best Brownies in the World from Cravings of a Lunatic
- One Bowl Fudgy Brownies
- Easy Caramel Brownies
- Best Sheet Pan Brownies
- Plus check out this recipe for Cosmic Brownies for my tips on How to Cut Brownies.
- More of the Best Brownie Recipes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 9 x 13 pan with nonstick foil and set aside.
- Stir together butter, sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, eggs, cream, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large bowl; beat till all are combined. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- When brownies are almost finished baking, combine chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan and heat till chocolate melts. Add the 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Immediately spread over hot brownies. Allow to cool on a wire rack then refrigerate.
- To serve, cut into bars.
Fudgy frosted brownie recipe adapted from Hershey's.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g