An updated version of the Layered Caramel Brownies I fell hard for in college! So gooey and irresistible!!!
Layered Caramel Brownies
For someone who’s not that into football, I’ve seen a LOT of games this fall. It was parents’ weekend down at the university my youngest attends. But as a bonus, his team was playing my alma mater…so, of course, we went. I put on my Iowa sweatshirt so I could razz him a little.
Well, both teams stink, so I doubted he’d really care. Also, since it was November, I wore a down coat, long underwear, gloves and anything else I could dream up to prevent my tush from freezing…which covered any gear identifying me as the enemy. Well, college football games mean tailgates. One of Nick’s friends through elementary school and high school made the team, so we planned to meet up with his parents before the game.
I was assigned baked goods…shocking, I know…and did I find two wonderful new recipes to try. First up are these Layered Caramel Brownies from my friend, Danielle, of Hugs & Cookies XOXO. Danielle is a baker extraordinaire…as well as one of the kindest gals around. She started blogging long before I did and has a facebook page with tens of thousands of fans.
Caramel Brownies without a Cake Mix
I fell hard for caramel brownies when I visited my college roommate’s home town outside of Chicago. Her mom made that fabulous recipe using a box of German chocolate cake mix. I became obsessed!
Though the shortcut is wonderful, I love to use a scratch brownie recipe for an even richer version. I still melt bagged caramel squares so it’s definitely “semi-homemade,” but utterly delicious nonetheless!
More Caramel Recipes You’ll Love:
- Salted Caramel Sugar Cookies from Wine and Glue
- Oatmeal Caramel Bars Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No-Bake Caramel Stuffed Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzels from Foodie with Family
- Deluxe Caramel Cheesecake with Caramel Toffee Topping from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bailey’s Salted Caramel Chocolate Pie from She Wears Many Hats
Hugs & Cookies
Tip of the day: To make sharp, neat squares when cutting gooey bars like brownies, pop the whole pan into the fridge and allow them to cool completely. Bring brownies to room temperature before serving or the caramel will be difficult to chew.
Layered Caramel Brownies
Homemade brownies with chocolate chips and a caramel filling
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 brownies
- Category: Dessert, Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 14-ounce bag caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil.
- Melt the butter and 12 oz. chips in microwave until melted. Stir in sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Fold in flour and salt. Pour half into your pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Cool for 20 minutes. Microwave the caramels and cream until melted. Spread the caramel in a layer on top. Carefully spread the rest of the batter on top of the caramel. Scatter the chocolate chips on top. Bake 20 more minutes.
- Cool in pan. Then refrigerate for cleaner cutting. Remove using foil as handles.