A high buttercream to brownie ratio makes these Rich Frosted Brownies totally irresistible!! Chocolate on chocolate always wins out!
When I had 3 wee ones underfoot, I’d frequently pull out a box of brownie mix with frosting and whip up a quick, sweet treat. As they grew and scurried off to school each morning, I started experimenting with homemade brownie recipes. Adding Chocolate Buttercream Frosting to homemade brownies made me a hero among my family!
Box vs. Scratch Brownies
Time after time, my family would lodge the same complaint. According to them, my scratch brownies rated well below the prepackaged version, cardboardy texture and all. And, heaven forbid, I’d make a batch of brownies without frosting them! Blasphemy.
Homemade Rich Frosted Brownies
I baked up and parceled some rich frosted brownies up for my trip to Denver and the chocolate fiends there (AKA as my sister and brother-in-law). High accolades were given by the Colorado crew as well as by my youngest when we delivered some down to campus a few days later.
I’m happy to report that over the years, the whole family has come around. They finally appreciate my brownies from scratch, especially when covered in a decadent chocolate buttercream frosting!
That’s not to say they’d ignore any sort of brownie, but their taste buds have matured and my baking status redeemed. I bet you’d pick these homemade brownies over a box mix, too!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Baileys Irish Cream Brownies from TexanErin Baking
- Chocolate Frosted Brownies from Brown Eyed Baker
- Best Ever Brownie Frosting from A Dash of Sanity
- German Chocolate Cake
- Glazed Walnut Brownies
- Easy Chocolate Mousse Bars
- Truffle Brownies
- Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Pots de Creme
- More Chocolate Recipes
You Might Like:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8 pan with non-stick foil or butter and flour pan.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt ½ cup butter. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 28 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center has just a few moist crumbs. Do not overbake. Cool completely.
- When brownies are cool, beat together frosting ingredients till well combined. Frost brownies.
I chill my brownies before cutting to make the cleanest looking slices. Bring to room temperature to serve.
Adapted from numerous sources including Allrecipes and Food Network Magazine.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 142mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g