We just returned from 2 weeks in Switzerland with a couple days in the Italian lakes district and here it is Father’s Day. A super easy, yet rich chocolate dessert was in order and I turned to these Simple Fudgy Brownies adapted from Alice Medrich.
Simple Fudgy Brownies
Sleep deprivation and fancy, complicated desserts are not a good mix. When I asked the hubby what he wanted for Father’s Day, he replied, “Beer and Mousse.” Knowing him, beef was expected, too. As usual, I took liberty with his suggestion and decided on these super rich brownies for dessert. I discovered them in 2010, coincidentally after we arrived home from a family trip to Italy. Brownies and chocolate chip cookies are my go to desserts when the brain is fried. There are never any complaints.
This Alice Medrich inspired recipe is unusual as the brownies are baked at 400° for only 20 minutes before being plunged into an ice bath. Weird, huh? But don’t knock ’em till you bake ’em! They’re an irresistible cross between brownies and fudge! Plus, they’re perfect for the chocoholic in your life!
Sunday Supper Father’s Day Menu Ideas
From super simple to gourmet, the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing Father’s Day Menu inspiration. If your menu isn’t finalized, you’ll definitely find some amazing options from these talented bloggers! Or save them for the next time you are planning a special meal.
Sides Dad Will Love
- Best Dark and Stormy by Cricket’s Confections
- Spanish Cheese Plate by Caroline’s Cooking
Mains for the Main Man
- Blue Cheese Bacon Burger with Crispy Onions Strings by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Chicken Fajita Burgers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chili Cheese Omelet by Food Lust People Love
- Chinese Chicken Salad by Pies and Plots
- Cider Braised Pork Belly Tacos by Gourmet Everyday
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches by Soulfully Made
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cilantro Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger (The JCB) by This is How I Cook
- Korean BBQ Steak Bowls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Out of a Can Chili by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pork Chops With Brandied Cherries by Mysavoryspoon
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Tofu Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Devil’s Food Strawberry Shortcake by The Freshman Cook
- Simple Fudgy Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Snickery Springform Cookie by What Smells So Good?
The Best Recipes You Need Now for Father’s Day by Sunday Supper Movement
Simple Fudgy Brownies
Dense, simple fudgy brownies adapted from Alice Medrich’s New Classic Brownies.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 16 brownies
- Category: Dessert, Brownies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line an 8 inch square metal baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave stopping every 30 seconds to stir. When almost completely melted, stir until smooth.
- Stir in sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir in eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, about 1 minute, until mixture pulls away from sides of bowl. Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Prepare a water bath. Pour ice water into a large roasting pan or kitchen sink to a depth of about 1 inch. Remove pan from oven and place in water bath…avoid getting any water on brownies. Let cool completely, then lift out and cut squares.
Mini-photo of the kids in Venice circa 2010. After this trip, Nick said I should make these simple fudgy brownies again ASAP.