A super easy, yet rich chocolate dessert was in order and I turned to these Simple Fudgy Brownies adapted from Alice Medrich. The unusual technique created some incredibly delicious brownies!
Simple Fudgy Brownies
We just returned from 2 weeks in Switzerland with a couple days in the Italian lakes district and here it is Father’s Day. We needed something sweet!
Sleep deprivation and fancy, complicated desserts are not a good mix. When I asked the hubby what he wanted for Father’s Day, he replied, “Beer and Mousse.” Knowing him, beef was expected, too. As usual, I took liberty with his suggestion and decided on these super rich brownies for dessert.
I discovered them in 2010, coincidentally after we arrived home from a family trip to Italy. Brownies and chocolate chip cookies are my go to desserts when the brain is fried. There are never any complaints.
Tips for Making Fudgy Brownies
This Alice Medrich inspired recipe has one of the most unusual baking techniques I’ve seen. But it’s worked each time I’ve made these winners! They’re an irresistible cross between brownies and fudge! Plus, they’re perfect for the chocoholic in your life!
- These brownies are baked at 400° for only 20 minutes before being plunged into an ice bath. Weird, huh? But don’t knock ’em till you bake ’em!
- But besides this out of the box method, there are a few tips for making brownies, like lining your pan with non-stick foil for easy removal and cutting.
- I like microwaving my chocolate and butter to avoid having an extra pan to wash. Do it gently by stopping, stirring and restarting until melted. I typically use 30 second increments, then shorter zaps as the chocolate melts.
- You can stop when there are a few small unmelted bits as the residual heat will continue the melting process. You can always microwave a few seconds more if your chocolate isn’t completely smooth. You do not want to overheat as that can ruin the chocolate.
- Mix by hand so you don’t add any extra air into the batter.
- I like using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula and just mix until the flour is incorporated.
More Brownie Recipes
- Fudgy Kahlua Brownies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- French Silk Pie Brownies
- White Chocolate Brownies
- Truffle Brownies
- Sheet Pan Brownies
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies
- Easy Fudgy Brownies
- Best Fudgy Brownies
- More Bar Cookies
- Chocolate Recipes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line an 8 inch square metal baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave stopping every 30 seconds to stir. When almost completely melted, stir until smooth.
- Stir in sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir in eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, about 1 minute, until mixture pulls away from sides of bowl. Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Prepare a water bath. Pour ice water into a large roasting pan or kitchen sink to a depth of about 1 inch. Remove pan from oven and place in water bath...avoid getting any water on brownies. Let cool completely, then lift out and cut squares.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
Mini-photo of the kids in Venice circa 2010. After this trip, Nick said I should make these simple fudgy brownies again ASAP.