A skillet is a terrific tool to make a quick and easy dinner or even dessert. These Fudgy Skillet Brownies are mixed up in one bowl then baked into a rich, chocolate coma inducing dessert.
This is the time of year when we’re all looking for speedy dinner ideas. School has started as have all those accompanying after-school activities.Time is at a premium, so it’s the perfect time to break out your skillet and cook up a meal made in one pan. Start to finish an hour or less. Some of my favorites are Skillet Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches, Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta, and Chicken Piccata.
But don’t you dare forget the last course. Skillet desserts are the best! Kind of rustic, served right out of a cast iron skillet, and so delicious!!! I know I’ve piqued your interest!
Fudgy Skillet Brownies
I have a handful of skillet recipes that I make over and over, but almost all are entrees. It was time to increase my repertoire.
These fudgy skillet brownies are thick and decadent, but best of all, they’re a snap to make! I whip them up mid-afternoon and let them cool on the counter till after dinner.
Served in wedges, they can be jazzed up with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of fudge or caramel sauce. Swoon-worthy.
Recipe Tips for these Skillet Brownies
- I used a 10-inch Le Creuset Skillet and this recipe filled the pan to the brim. If your skillet is smaller, I’d suggest making 2/3 of this recipe or you will definitely have a mess in your oven.
- With a smaller skillet, increase the oven temperature to 350º and decrease the time to about 40 minutes.
- With brownies, it’s hard to tell when they are done. The toothpick test that you use for cakes is not accurate. I know when my kitchen fills with an intense brownie aroma, the time is near. They’ll pull away from the edge of the pan very slightly and should have risen to the top of the skillet.
- I added some milk chocolate chips to tone down the chocolate intensity for one particular family member. Add white chocolate, bittersweet, semisweet chips or even chunks of toffee to customize them for your family. Toasted walnuts would be fabulous, too, but they wouldn’t fly with my picky crew!
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Patriotic Skillet Cookie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gooey Texas Sheet Cake Skillet from The Cookie Rookie
Fudgy Skillet Brownies
One bowl, one skillet, one delicious, fudgy brownie recipe!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Brownies
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 12 ounces, semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325º. Grease a deep 10-inch skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe mixing bowl, gently melt the butter and semisweet chocolate, stopping to stir occasionally, until smooth. Whisk in the instant coffee. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs, and vanilla. Stir in salt, then the flour until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Cool, cut into wedges and serve with ice cream if desired.