Try this Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe when you need a quick, delicious, flavorful meal! This easy skillet Italian pasta is a family favorite!
Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe
This pasta with sausage, tomatoes and rosemary can be put together in about 45 minutes. The onions and sausage are sauteed, then rosemary, red pepper flakes, bay leaves and tomatoes are added. Finally cream and Parmesan cheese complete the sauce. Besides cooking the pasta, this whole dish is made in one skillet! So flavorful and delicious.
Tips for Making This Easy Skillet Pasta
Do you ever buy a cookbook for one recipe? It was the “Penne with a Quick Sausage Sauce” or Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta that enticed me into purchasing Rogers Gray Italian Country Cook Book. It was certainly worth the price with the number of times this easy skillet pasta is on our menu.
- With a half teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, Bill declared this dish was “spicy,” but still managed to eat a generous serving! Even Katie, my pickiest taste tester, is a fan. I just find a pile of sausage left on her plate.
- Feel free to add more or less red pepper flakes to suit your palate. If you love spicy, consider using spicy Italian sausages instead of mild.
- I love this recipe with penne rigate pasta (penne with ridges to catch more of the sauce!), but if you don’t have any on hand, use your favorite pasta shape. I accidentally grabbed a box of bow ties once, and that shape worked perfectly.
- When it comes to canned tomatoes, I love San Marzano plum tomatoes. Check the labels as these are now readily available.
I’ve made ravioli and lasagna sheets from scratch, but love having easy skillet pasta recipes. It’s fabulous enough to serve at a dinner party (and I have), but typically this is a quick week night dinner.
This pasta recipe is creamy, spicy, simply delish. I hope you’ll love this easy Italian skillet pasta as much as we do. Note that even Miss Lambeau (circa 2011) approves.
More Italian Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pasta e Fagioli from Cookin’ Canuck
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spinach Tortellini Italian Pasta Salad from Wonky Wonderful
- Light Fettuccine Alfredo from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Sausage Linguine from Spend with Pennies
Penne with Sausage and Tomatoes
Easy Italian skillet pasta with sausage and tomatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Saute, Boil, Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian, Italian American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4–5 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2–1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained well
- 1 pound penne rigate or bow tie pasta
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in olive oil till soft. Add sausage and cook while breaking apart sausage into small pieces. Add rosemary, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and cook till sausage is browned. Remove any excess fat. Add tomatoes, breaking these apart into small pieces with spatula.
- Cook pasta in salted water. Drain and add to sausage mixture. Add cream and Parmesan and toss well. Check for seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with additional Parmesan if desired.
Adapted from Rogers Gray Italian Country Cookbook