Candy Bar Cheesecake is the ultimate dessert mashup! When you can’t decide between a slice of rich chocolate cake or milk chocolate cheesecake, make this chocolate cheesecake filled layer cake recipe!
Candy Bar Cheesecake
I first made this rich, unforgettable candy bar cheesecake recipe years ago. Served at The Cheesecake Factory, it was dubbed “candy bar” due to the use of Hershey’s milk chocolate in the cheesecake filling. This Cheesecake Factory Red Velvet Cheesecake looks extraordinary, too. I think they’re onto something!
The thought of filling a classic iced chocolate cake with a chocolate cheesecake literally made my mouth water. A gargantuan dessert like this would take my family 2 weeks to finish, but I got a chance to remake it last weekend. Invited to a dinner party with some of my dearest friends, I volunteered to bring a dessert. Natch.
Marriage of Two Chocolate Desserts
These friends are used to the shenanigans that come with a “blogger’s” dessert. Like slices cut out and reinserted. Thankfully, they’re always willing to be my guinea pigs. Plus, I get some honest reviews.
Served at room temperature, this cake is moist and tender, the icing creamy and fudgy, and the chocolate cheesecake filling is amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had such rave reviews from one of my desserts. A hit across the board.
Our host squirreled away an extra slice that his wife found in the fridge the next day! One fellow swore he couldn’t eat another bite, but after about an hour of us gabbing around a roaring fire, I noticed his plate was empty. Another gal who usually doesn’t indulge ate a full slice. She thought the filling was a luscious ganache, but her cheesecake loving husband set her straight.
I had just enough leftover to bring a couple slices home, and Bill has savored every bite of the remainders. So if you need a showstopper for any party, make this exquisite Hershey’s Candy Bar Cheesecake at home!
Make Ahead Dinner Party Recipes
- When time is tight and you are planning to have company for dinner, a few make ahead recipes are incredibly helpful. Luckily, all three layers of this cake can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two or in freezer for a couple weeks.
- To freeze, the cake layers should be removed from the pans and each wrapped in plastic, then foil. For the cheesecake, let it cool to room temperature, then wrap the whole pan in foil and freeze.
- The layers should be defrosted in the refrigerator overnight before assembling. Just make the icing, frost and it’s ready to go!
Ahead of Schedule Starters
- Beefy Au Gratin Potato Skins by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Strawberry Brie Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Easy Chicken Liver Pâté by Palatable Pastime
- Pomegranate and Orange Champagne Punch by Our Good Life
- Rainbow Hummus by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip by Soulfully Made
Earlier the Better Entrees
- Easy Grain-Free Whole30 Cauliflower Dirty Rice by Bites of Wellness
- Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Avocado by Cooking Chat
Prepared Ahead Postre
- Banoffee Pie by Caroline’s Cooking
- Candy Bar Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Orange Bread Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Fireball Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Gluten Free Almond Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Pear Upside-Down Spice Cake by Positively Stacey
More Cheesecake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from Brown Eyed Baker
- Homemade Caramel Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Black Forest Cheesecake from Pressure Cooking Today
- Chocolate Caramel Twix Cheesecake
- Baileys Chocolate Cheesecake from Dinners Dishes and Desserts
Candy Bar Cheesecake
Candy Bar Cheesecake is the ultimate dessert mashup! For a marriage of two chocolate desserts, make this chocolate cheesecake filled layer cake recipe!
Adapted from Recipe Secrets
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Dessert, Cake, Cheesecake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chopped milk chocolate, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips
To prepare the cheesecake:
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line a 10-inch round baking pan or 10 inch springform pan with non-stick aluminum foil or plain foil . Let the edges of foil extend over sides of pan and then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray if not using non-stick.In your stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Blend just until eggs are incorporated. Stir in sour cream and melted chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top just starts to turn golden.
- Let the cheesecake cool completely in its pan on a wire rack then cover and chill for 4 hours.
- To prepare the chocolate cake:
- Heat oven to 350°.Grease and flour two 10-inch round baking pans. Line bottoms with parchment rounds and grease.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
To prepare the chocolate frosting:
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- To assemble:
- Spread a layer of frosting on top of one chocolate cake.
- Using edges of foil as handles, remove cheesecake from pan and peel away foil. Carefully layer the cheesecake on top of the frosted cake. If the cheesecake becomes hard to work with, you can place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread some chocolate frosting on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Place second chocolate cake on top and ice with frosting on top and on all sides. Decorate the sides of the cake with chocolate chips.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.