Light Fettuccine Alfredo
I wasn’t certain that this Light Fettuccine Alfredo would pass the family’s taste test. But they gobbled it up without a peep. And asked for more!
This Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo isn’t exactly low-cal, but it’s certainly lightened up from the heavy cream, butter and Parmesan version we all love!
Light Fettuccine Alfredo
Light Fettuccine Alfredo??? You may be thinking that “Fettuccine Alfredo” and “Light” in the same recipe is contradictory and maybe even impossible! The traditional Italian pasta dish consists of long flat noodles mixed with a rich sauce of emulsified Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and butter, though most of the recipes I’ve used in the past call for heavy cream. How can this be made light and still delicious??? I’ve found a way.
This post may be somewhat of a shocker to my devoted readers, but it’s actually a healthier version of our favorite fat-laden pasta dish. A typical Alfredo sauce is not for the calorie-conscious. But when I first made this Light Fettuccine Alfredo a few years back, nobody even noticed the changes. I knew from both my first bite and my family’s reaction that it was a winner.
Plus it’s super easy! My family loves simple, comforting pasta dishes like Penne alla Vodka, Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes, or this Creamy Pesto Pasta. My family gives this healthier fettuccine Alfredo their hearty approval!
Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
Low-fat or 2 percent milk and lightened cream cheese replaced the heavy cream sauce in this Cooking Light version of Alfredo sauce. I was the skeptic, but if you know how picky my family is, you know this version was darned tasty if they approved.
There’s still butter and loads of Parmesan, so it’s not totally guilt-free. But a heck of a lot lighter than the classic fettuccine Alfredo. If you have a craving for this classic, rich pasta dish, why not give this healthier skinny fettuccine Alfredo a try. Comfort food without the guilt!
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Veggie Lover’s Greek Pasta from Foodie with Family
- One-Pot Cheesy Italian Pasta and Chicken from The Slow Roasted Italian
- Creamy Lemon One Pot Pasta from Diethood
- Vegetarian Spaghetti from Family Food on the Table
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- Cheesy Baked Pasta with Prosciutto
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Mozzarella, Basil Parmigiano-Reggiano Ravioli with Butter Sage Sauce
- Chicken Piccata Pasta
- More Pasta Recipes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour (I used Wondra)
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fettuccine, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions, drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook just till fragrant, about a minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour, then gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly till mixture thickens. Add 1 cup of the Parmesan, cream cheese and salt, stirring till cheese melts. Add hot pasta and toss. Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining Parmesan, flat leaf parsley and black pepper to taste.
Adapted from Cooking Light.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 913mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g