Easy Skillet Chicken Piccata is a delectable entree that you can have on your plate in 30 minutes or less. Who doesn’t love that?
This Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe is simply chicken dredged in seasoned flour and cooked in a scrumptious lemon, butter and caper sauce! Family-friendly and delicious!
Easy Skillet Chicken Piccata
Chicken piccata is the dinner I make when I have absolutely nothing planned. There are always capers and lemons in the fridge, a bottle of dry vermouth in the liquor cabinet, and chicken in the freezer. It’s easy, elegant, and tasty; you can’t beat that!
My weeknight dinners are typically quick and, of course, flavorful. I keep my days pretty busy, even hectic at times, so I like to have a repertoire of meals that go from stove to table in less than an hour. This recipe is ready even faster than that! This super easy skillet Chicken Piccata is always at the top of the list.
What is Piccata Sauce?
Any dish served “piccata” style is made with a lemon, butter and caper sauce. Often a bit of white wine is used to deglaze the pan.
Typically made with a thin or pounded piece of meat like chicken or pork, or fish, but even vegetables can be made with a piccata sauce. The word piccata in French translates to piquant or a pleasantly sharp or appetizing flavor.
What Should I Serve with Chicken Piccata?
My dinner menus always have a protein source, vegetable, and starch. With this chicken piccata, I like to serve a simple vegetable like a roasted medley, roasted broccoli or green beans. A tossed salad is a nice addition as well. Keep the colors of your selections in mind and aim for a colorful vegetable to bring life to your plate.
How to Make Lemon Chicken Piccata!
I first found this recipe in our local Junior League cookbook, Winners, but now I just wing it.
- I place boneless, skinnless chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and gently pound them with a meat mallet.
- I dip flattened chicken breasts in another ziploc bag in which I’ve placed the seasoned flour. Using seasoned flour provides better flavor than just salting the chicken after it’s been cooked.
- PRO-Tip: Sautéd in the combination of butter and olive oil provides flavor (butter) and an increased smoke point (olive oil).
- PRO-Tip: The last step is to deglaze the pan with white wine and lemon juice. This helps bring up the “fond” or crusty bits at the bottom or the pan which adds even more flavor.
- If you’re concerned about adding wine, alcohol is a flavor inhancer and most will burn off during the cooking process. Feel free to leave out the alcohol if that’s your preference. Use chicken broth instead.
- Adding capers is up to you, but you should try them at least once! The pickled, salty berries are a delicious contribution to any piccata!
I hope you will add this to your weekday dinner repertoire. From start to finish, this chicken piccata can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes
PS…no, Bill does not eat the capers. I don’t think the kids do either. More for me.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you love these flavors, try my Chicken Piccata Pasta. Another family favorite is my Skillet Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches. Tator Tot Hot Dish is another marvelous skillet meal as is this Skillet Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded with meat mallet to flatten to an even thickness
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2-4 tablespoons butter
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I use vermouth)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- Minced fresh parsley to garnish, optional
- Melt butter and olive oil in large saute pan.
- Mix flour and seasoning salt in large ziploc bag. Add chicken breast and shake to coat the chicken in flour. Shake off excess, then place chicken into hot pan. Repeat with rest of chicken and cook each till golden brown on each side and cooked through. Add more butter and olive oil if needed. Remove to plate and cover with foil.
- Add wine to hot pan and scrape up drippings. Add lemon juice and reduce liquid by half. Return chicken to pan and coat in juices. Place on serving platter and sprinkle with capers and parsley.
Serving Size:! chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g