This healthy Arugula Salad is full of clean, simple ingredients and dressed perfectly with an emulsified balsamic vinaigrette. An ideal side dish for any meal!
Maddy’s Healthy Arugula Salad
My youngest sister, Maddy, has a knack for cooking without a recipe. As more of a baker, I always rely on written instructions and rarely mess with the proportions of leavening to flour and fat. My tweaks tend to be changes in flavorings or kind of chocolate. While we were back in Iowa visiting our family home, she whipped up some fabulous broiled salmon and this delightful salad. I have a feeling you’ll love Maddy’s Arugula salad as much as I did.
It was all about the simple dressing…Maddy started by mashing a garlic clove with about 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, then mixed that with a well-aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Her secret weapon was adding about a tablespoon of mayo which seemed to temper the bitter arugula nicely. Halved grape tomatoes, English cucumber, and avocado chunks were placed on top of the salad and when dinner was served, we tossed it all together with the marvelous vinaigrette.
Although I love to post sugary, fat-laden, chocolate coated, drool-worthy desserts best of all, my diet is much healthier than it appears. This sort of salad would be piled on my dinner plate, with just a small piece of chicken or helping of the entree of the day. And if I’m still hungry, I just pull a cookie out of the freezer to appease my sweet tooth. So if you’re still trying to backtrack to that pre-holiday weight, check out all the skinny recipes shared by our contributors this week.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
- Tomato and Burrata Panzanella Salad
- Burrata Caprese Salad
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- Homemade Ranch Salad Dressing
- More Best Salad Recipes
- 8 Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, sliced, then quartered
- Avocado, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Fill salad bowl with arugula. Top with chopped veggies.
- To prepare dressing, put salt on mixing board. Put garlic clove on top of salt and mince the garlic and salt together. Whisk garlic/salt mixture with vinegar, then whisk in olive oil. Whisk in mayonnaise.
- Toss salad with dressing just before serving. Refrigerate any extra dressing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g