Fudgy Brownies with Reese’s Chunks are perfect for happy occasions or gathering with friends to mourn the loss of a childhood friend. Good food brings comfort!
Fudgy Brownies with Reese’s Chunks
You may have read about the death of a childhood friend in May. To deal with my grief, I headed to the kitchen. I knew I’d be gathering with some of my dearest, oldest friends to mourn our loss at a memorial service. One of my classmates planned to fill a cooler with booze for a private gathering at our hotel, and I knew we’d need a few treats to as well. I think I should have made a few sandwiches, too, seeing the aftermath of empties at the end of the night. These Fudgy Brownies with Reese’s Chunks were one of the goodies I brought for my friends.
One of these friends used to make layered chocolate peanut butter fudge in college, so I knew a brownie studded with Reese’s miniatures would be one of sweets I’d bake up for her. I took a favorite fudgy brownie from Martha Stewart and sprinkled the batter with halved peanut butter cups before baking. You could easily make these Reese’s brownies with a boxed mix, too, if you’re pressed for time.
We snacked, sipped, hugged, laughed and looked over old photos and junior high yearbooks. It was 4:30 AM before the night ended…our hearts still heavy, but tears dried by friendship. I’ve already shared the other bar cookies I made: Fudge and Toffee Filled Chocolate Chip Bars.
- 1 stick butter
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup miniature Reese's peanut butter cups (cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with non-stick foil. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave gently until butter and chocolate are melted (30 seconds x 3, stirring in between sessions). Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir sugar into chocolate till combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Fold in flour and salt.
- Sprinkle with Reese's and gently press into batter.
- Bake until cake tester comes out of center with just a few moist crumbs, 40-45 min. Cool completely on rack. Remove brownies from pan using foil. Cut into 2 inch squares.
Brownie recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook