This Cheesy Spinach Rice Casserole is an easy, flavorful side dish with spinach, long grain and wild rice, and loads of Monterey jack cheese!
With this semi-homemade recipe, it takes very little effort to make a hearty, tasty side dish! It’s simple enough for a weeknight, but also perfect for company.
Easy Rice Casserole
Yeah, we all need shortcuts. I’ve shared a few doctored up cake mix recipes that come together quickly and always get rave reviews, like my Kahlua Cake and Lemon Bundt Cake. This Cream Cheese Tea Roll is a family favorite that starts with frozen bread dough.
Though I tend to cook from scratch, when company is coming, an easy recipe like this cheesy spinach rice casserole is welcome.
How to Make this Spinach Rice Casserole
This easy rice casserole is pretty self-explanatory. But here are a few tips and reminders.
- Remember to defrost your spinach a day ahead of time so you aren’t delayed when it’s time to mix up the ingredients.
- Follow the directions of the box of rice to make that portion of the recipe. No need to let the rice cool before mixing.
- I used Monterey Jack cheese in my version of this Cheesy Spinach Rice Casserole, but if you’d prefer Swiss or Cheddar, almost any other melty cheese would work well.
- If you’d like, sprinkle some extra cheese on top during the last 10 minutes of baking for an extra cheesy topping!
- The original recipe called for 2 boxes of spinach, but I only added one. If you’d like more veggies and less carbs per serving, feel free to add a second box.
- PRO-Tip – Use a potato ricer to squeeze the liquid out of the defrosted spinach. Note that my resident dish washer hates to clean that. Another alternative is to use your hands to squeeze dry the spinach. I do this over a colander in case I drop some of the spinach.
More Tasty Side Dish Recipes:
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole from Num’s the Word
- Spinach Souffle Recipe
- Italian Green Beans
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- More Vegetable Side Dishes
- One 6 ounce package of Long Grain and Wild Rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cook rice according to package instructions.
While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small pan, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook for a couple minutes to soften.
Scrape onion and butter into a large mixing bowl. Add spinach, mustard and salt. Mix to combine.
When rice is cooked, add to the bowl along with the cheese. Mix well and pour into an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish.
Bake, uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 497mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g