Easy Kahlua Bundt Cake
This Easy Kahlua Bundt Cake is still my go-to recipe when I need a quick, yet decadent, dessert. This moist, dense chocolate cake is a snap to fix. You are going to fall in love with this simple Kahlua Cake recipe.
This fabulous chocolate cake mix recipe is embarrassingly simple. There are only SIX ingredients. You’d never guess that it starts with a cake mix! It’s the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe to make when your time is limited, and I promise you’ll get asked for the recipe. I always do!!
Why You Must Make
I know “semi-homemade” conjures up some bad images for many of my foodie friends: less-than-gourmet dishes, gloppy casseroles with canned soups, boxed “helper” meals, etc. But I have a few such recipes that my family adores, like this Easy Lemon Bundt Cake, and I just can’t just ignore their requests.
- Doctoring up a cake mix can make a cake as good as or even better than some homemade recipes.
- This cake only takes a few minutes to mix up and get in the oven!
- I always get requests for this recipe and no one ever thinks it’s made with a cake mix!
This Kahlua Bundt Cake is another prime example. I have baked it for teachers’ luncheons, funeral dinners as well as family birthdays. And despite it being made with a boxed cake mix, it’s always a hit. I think the full pint of sour cream may have something to do with the overwhelmingly positive reactions!
From the comments: “One of the best chocolate cakes ever. The head cook where I work, who is an accomplished baker himself, told me it was the best Bundt cake he’s ever had. My favorite part was how ridiculously easy it was. A cake in the oven in less than 5 minutes? Yes please, I’ll have some more.”
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix – 15.25 ounces (with pudding in the mix)
- Eggs – Large eggs are standard in all my recipes
- Kahlua – A coffee liqueur. The alcohol should evaporate during the baking time.
- Vegetable Oil – Canola Oil is my go-to vegetable oil. Olive oil has too much flavor to use in this cake.
- Sour Cream – Full fat
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips – I stock up on Ghirardelli chocolate chips when they’re on sale.
How to Make
- One bowl, a mixer, and a handful of ingredients and you’ll have the most incredible aroma wafting through your kitchen in no time. It’s a dump-and-mix recipe, truly a no-brainer. Save this for when you’re in a pinch for time.
- PRO-Tip: I highly recommend spraying your Bundt pan with Baker’s Joy or some other oil/flour spray so that you’ll get an easy release from the pan. Cool in the pan for just 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack till it cools to room temperature.
- I finally had to replace my Bundt pan after no prep allowed for a good release. Sometimes the non-stick finish just wears out!
- Do not overmix your batter as it will add excess air and the goal is a smooth, dense batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Bundt cake is a dessert baked in a certain type of pan, called a Bundt pan. It’s a donut shape with a hole in the center which allows for more even and faster baking. It’s also a more decorative cake taking on the shape of the pan. Typically Bundt cakes are denser than your traditional layer cakes, and, most often, easier to make!
No, the cake does not have an alcoholic flavor. Instead, the Kahlua just enhances the flavor of this cake. Plus, since it’s a coffee liqueur, it also helps accentuate the chocolate flavor as coffee is known to do. Most, if not all of the alcohol will evaporate during the baking time.
No, that’s the beauty of this recipe. It’s super easy, yet it tastes homemade!
First, if it’s a non-stick cake pan, make sure the interior doesn’t show signs of wear. If it does, you may have trouble with sticking.
Next, prep the pan well before adding the batter. You can grease the interior with shortening (Crisco), then dust it with flour or spray the interior with a non-stick baking spray like Baker’s Joy.
And lastly, cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes before flipping it out to finish cooling. This cooling time is needed for the exterior of the cake to firm up and not so long that it gets stuck in the pan.
You May Also Like:
- No-Bake Funfetti Cheesecake Cups from Wine and Glue
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies from Living Locurto
- Almond Bundt Cake
- Easy Margarita Poke Cake
- Gooey Butter Bars
- Plus, this from-scratch Simple Chocolate Cake Recipe is super easy, too!
- More Cake Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix, 15.25 ounces (with pudding in the mix)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1-pint sour cream
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan or spray with a baking spray like Baker's Joy.
- Beat together all ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Add chocolate chips when the batter is smooth.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Test with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, the cake is done. If there is batter on the toothpick, bake 5-10 minutes longer and recheck.
- Cool for about 10 minutes and turn out onto a cake plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g