Easy Kahlua Bundt Cake
This Easy Kahlua Bundt Cake is still my go-to recipe when I need a quick, yet decadent, dessert. This moist, dense chocolate cake is a snap to fix. You are going to fall in love with this simple Kahlua Cake recipe.
This fabulous chocolate cake mix recipe is embarrassingly simple. There are only SIX ingredients. You’d never guess that it starts with a cake mix! It’s the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe to make when your time is limited, and I promise you’ll get asked for the recipe. I always do!!
Why You Must Make
I know “semi-homemade” conjures up some bad images for many of my foodie friends: less-than-gourmet dishes, gloppy casseroles with canned soups, boxed “helper” meals, etc. But I have a few such recipes that my family adores, like this Easy Lemon Bundt Cake, and I just can’t just ignore their requests.
- Doctoring up a cake mix can make a cake as good as or even better than some homemade recipes.
- This cake only takes a few minutes to mix up and get in the oven!
- I always get requests for this recipe and no one ever thinks it’s made with a cake mix!
This Kahlua Bundt Cake is another prime example. I have baked it for teachers’ luncheons, funeral dinners as well as family birthdays. And despite it being made with a boxed cake mix, it’s always a hit. I think the full pint of sour cream may have something to do with the overwhelmingly positive reactions!
From the comments: “One of the best chocolate cakes ever. The head cook where I work, who is an accomplished baker himself, told me it was the best Bundt cake he’s ever had. My favorite part was how ridiculously easy it was. A cake in the oven in less than 5 minutes? Yes please, I’ll have some more.”
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix – 15.25 ounces (with pudding in the mix)
- Eggs – Large eggs are standard in all my recipes
- Kahlua – A coffee liqueur. The alcohol should evaporate during the baking time.
- Vegetable Oil – Canola Oil is my go-to vegetable oil. Olive oil has too much flavor to use in this cake.
- Sour Cream – Full fat
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips – I stock up on Ghirardelli chocolate chips when they’re on sale.
How to Make
- Add all ingredients except the chocolate chips to a mixing bowl.
- Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Stir until combined.
- Scrape into prepared Bundt pan and bake as directed.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. Place onto a serving plate, slice, and enjoy.
- One bowl, a mixer, and a handful of ingredients and you’ll have the most incredible aroma wafting through your kitchen in no time. It’s a dump-and-mix recipe, truly a no-brainer. Save this for when you’re in a pinch for time.
- PRO-Tip: I highly recommend spraying your Bundt pan with Baker’s Joy or some other oil/flour spray so that you’ll get an easy release from the pan. Cool in the pan for just 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack till it cools to room temperature.
- I finally had to replace my Bundt pan after no prep allowed for a good release. Sometimes the non-stick finish just wears out!
- Do not overmix your batter as it will add excess air and the goal is a smooth, dense batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Bundt cake is a dessert baked in a certain type of pan, called a Bundt pan. It’s a donut shape with a hole in the center which allows for more even and faster baking. It’s also a more decorative cake taking on the shape of the pan. Typically Bundt cakes are denser than your traditional layer cakes, and, most often, easier to make!
No, the cake does not have an alcoholic flavor. Instead, the Kahlua just enhances the flavor of this cake. Plus, since it’s a coffee liqueur, it also helps accentuate the chocolate flavor as coffee is known to do.
No, that’s the beauty of this recipe. It’s super easy, yet it tastes homemade!
First, if it’s a non-stick cake pan, make sure the interior doesn’t show signs of wear. If it does, you may have trouble with sticking.
Next, prep the pan well before adding the batter. You can grease the interior with shortening (Crisco), then dust it with flour or spray the interior with a non-stick baking spray like Baker’s Joy.
And lastly, cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes before flipping it out to finish cooling. This cooling time is needed for the exterior of the cake to firm up and not so long that it gets stuck in the pan.
You May Also Like:
- No-Bake Funfetti Cheesecake Cups from Wine and Glue
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies from Living Locurto
- Almond Bundt Cake
- Easy Margarita Poke Cake
- Gooey Butter Bars
- Plus, this from-scratch Simple Chocolate Cake Recipe is super easy, too!
- More Cake Recipes
Kahlua Bundt Cake Recipe
A moist, chocolate Bundt cake that's a snap to fix!
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix, 15.25 ounces (with pudding in the mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Kahlua
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-pint sour cream
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Beat together all ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Add chocolate chips when the batter is smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes.
- Cool about 10 minutes and turn out onto cake plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.
Baker's Joy baking spray can be used instead of greasing and flouring the Bundt pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g
62 Comments on “Easy Kahlua Bundt Cake”
Love the looks of a bundt cake! And Kahlua plays SO WELL with chocolate. Lovely recipe — thanks.
Love those “go-to” recipes and I especially love this one because of the use of a cake mix and the Kahlua. Now that I know even you use a cake mix once in a while, I’m not going to be embarrassed for not making a cake from scratch. This will be a great treat this holiday for me and my chocolate loving husband.
WOW this cake looks amazing!!! I would like to give it as gifts for Christmas, Is it possible to make this in small loaf pans? know so many people would love this!
Yes! That should work well. Not exactly sure of the baking time, but a lot of chocolate loaf cakes take 45-60 minutes, so I’d start checking with a toothpick at 40 minutes. Good luck!
This looks absolutely delicious and easy to make!
Wow! This is a delicious cake. Thank you for the recipe. It was quick and easy to make.
Hi, Donna! So glad you enjoyed. It’s my secret weapon for an easy cake that always gets rave reviews 🙂
One of the best chocolate cakes ever.
Ridiculously rich, decadent and moist. I subbed a Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge mix, which I sifted in, but otherwise followed to the letter. So dark, chocolatey, super moist, dense enough to hold together without crumbling. The head cook where I work, who is an accomplished baker himself, told me it was the best Bundt cake he’s ever had.
My favorite part was how ridiculously easy it was. I love doctored cake mixes and Liz’s recipes never disappoint. Consistency of ingredients? Someone else doing the measuring? A cake in the oven in less than 5 minutes? Yes please, I’ll have some more.
Awww, thanks Meghan!! I know that like me, you’ll find a zillion excuses to make this cake. Everyone wants the recipe, too!! Thanks so much for reporting back 🙂
Liz – Thank you for the fantastic recipe! I look forward to your weekly posts. I have been a fan of Bundt cakes for over 40 years, and I appreciate your additional note about the no-stick coating possibly wearing off after many, many uses. Definitely something I will keep in mind the next time I use my original cake pan. Also, Pam has recently marketed a flour/oil spray that is very good. Thanks!
I love kahlua + chocolate! I think so many delicious cakes begin with a mix! 🙂 ~Valentina
Love the deep dark chocolate and texture of this cake, Liz! And what a fantastic idea to add Kahlua for that extra depth of flavor!
Oh dear ! Love Kahlua so much ! This is an absolutely perfect idea to incorporate it with my pantry staples to create chocolate beauty ! Thank you dear Liz and I wish you stay safe !
Love how easy this recipe looks to throw together. Feeling the sudden intense craving for something deep dark chocolate. Something has happened to our bundt cake pan in all the moves around the world. Might have to consult amazon about that! Stay well and take care
The aroma must be absolutely wonderful as it bakes. My dear Mom used to make bundt cakes frequently, I haven’t made one in ages but I just love how easy this is. My hubby would love the flavours. Hope you’re well and safe.
Honestly, some of my go-to (and most yummy) bundt cake recipes start with a box. No judgement here! 🙂 Looks delicious, Liz.
I love the addition of sour cream, I’m sure this makes a very moist cake:@)
A favorite chocolate cake of mine!
I made this for Valentine’s Day today and it was a huge hit!
My husband loves Kahlua and anything with it. Aaaand this bundt cake was no different. It was so good. Disappeared in minutes. Great recipe!
My kids really loved it! Such an amazing cake!
This was the BEST cake…so delicious.