Chicken, Broccoli and Bell Pepper Stir Fry
This Asian inspired Chicken, Broccoli, and Bell Pepper Stir Fry is a quick, flavorful weekday supper! Your family will love every bite!
Chicken, Broccoli, and Bell Pepper Stir Fry
Sometimes coming up with dinner ideas is a chore. I’m happy to bake cookie after cookie, whip cream and make mousses, but entrees are another story. I’ll poll the family and they shrug their shoulders. Thank goodness for stir-fries…they always bail me out. The meat marinates while I chop the garlic, ginger, and veggies; and in about 30 minutes, the meal is ready.
I had chicken in the freezer, some broccoli and one tired-looking red bell pepper in the fridge…and plenty of Asian marinade ingredients in the pantry. This chicken, broccoli, and bell pepper stir fry was on the table in no time. Just right for a weekday supper.
Stock Your Pantry
If you always find yourself in a time crunch when it comes time to make dinner, make sure you have a well-stocked pantry. From there you can easily whip up a pasta dish or stir fry without running to the market. I keep a stash of various pasta, canned beans, rice, chicken broth or stock….onions, garlic, a few fresh vegetables…then some boneless, skinless chicken or other meat in the freezer.
If you have some soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegars, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, they are ideal for a boost of flavor along with dried herbs and spices. These enhancers have a long shelf life, so it’s worth adding them to your grocery list. This chicken, broccoli, and bell pepper stir fry is a terrific 30-minute meal, plus I’m sharing four more weekday supper ideas from my blogger friends.
More Easy Dinner Ideas You’ll Love:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, in thin slices
- 3 scallions (whites only) sliced on an angle
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -inch piece peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- About 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3-4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Steamed rice, to serve
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the scallion whites, about half the garlic and ginger, the soy sauce, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the sherry, and the sesame oil. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes. Mix the remaining cornstarch with 1/3 cup water.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat. Add the bell pepper, broccoli florets and the remaining garlic, ginger, 2 tablespoons of water, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but is tender enough to be pierced easily with a knife. Transfer to a plate.
- Reheat the skillet again, and then add 2 more tablespoons oil. Add the chicken and chili flakes, if using. Stir-fry until the chicken loses its raw color and gets a little brown, about 3 minutes. Add the oyster sauce, return the broccoli to the pan and toss to heat through. Stir in the reserved cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. Add more water if need to thin the sauce, if desired. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with rice.
Inspired from the Food Network
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1427mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 16gSugar: 14gProtein: 48g