Gooey Butter Bars
Gooey butter bars are an easy one pan dessert that starts with a box of yellow cake mix! When time is tight and dessert options are short, I turn to this classic, semi-homemade dessert recipe for Gooey Butter Bars for a quick and easy treat.
This version of Gooey Butter Cake is semi-homemade and perfect when you need to whip up a quick treat for a crowd!
Why You Must Make
- When the kids were wee ones, I had a few quick go-to recipes. The classic chocolate chip cookies and bars, brownies from a box (they preferred these to my homemade version, sigh), and these gooey butter bars.
- Made with a box of yellow cake mix, there was little measuring and a lot of sugar! The kids and the hubby, the fourth family member with a kiddie palate, loved these sugar-laden gems, too.
- Kitchen Staples – Melted Butter, Eggs
- A box of Butter Cake Mix – Yellow Cake Mix may be substituted, but it has more of an artificial flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – 4 ½ cups or 1 box, plus more to sprinkle over finished bars. Sift if it looks lumpy.
- Cream Cheese – Have at room temperature for easy blending.
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract, never artificially flavored.
How to Make
- Use a butter cake mix instead of the traditional yellow cake mix. It’s more palatable with less artificial flavor.
- Adding a slosh of vanilla was an additional flavor enhancer, not in the original recipe from one of my nurse colleagues.
- Line your baking pan with non-stick foil for easy cleanup!
- One December, way back when I was single, this same friend and I baked up a bunch of sweets for our oncology unit staff. I think they were shocked that either of us had any culinary skills. I was the gal eating a bag of popcorn for dinner on break. But I digress. This is not a gourmet recipe but fits the bill when you need a quick recipe to feed a group. I bet that someone will beg for the recipe!
You May Also Like:
- Better Than Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars
- Coconut Macadamia Nut Bars
- Caramel Espresso Bars
- S’mores Cookie Bars
- Easy Caramel Brownies
- More Bar Cookie Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 1 box butter cake mix (you may substitute yellow cake mix if desired)
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (or 1 box), plus more to sprinkle over finished bars
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, melted butter, and 2 of the eggs. Spread evenly and pat into the bottom of the prepared pan. The batter will be thick.
- With a hand mixer, beat together the remaining 2 eggs, powdered sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve. These WILL be gooey when you slice them.
I prefer a butter cake mix over a yellow cake mix as there is less of an artificial flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g