Macaroons, coconut cupcakes, coconut bars I love them all. My love affair with coconut started as a girl. My mom submitted a recipe for Mounds Bars for my first grade cookbook: think graham cracker crust with a chewy coconut middle and a chocolate topping. I’m going to have to blog about those yummy devils soon…
I always include something coconut with my holiday trays and this shortbread based bar is topped with a chewy, nutty coconut topping. Whoops, the bars in my original post mine got a little dark (photo below).That’s what happens when you forget to reduce the oven temperature. It just means more edge pieces for me! They were still outstanding. Don’t wait till the holidays to bake up a batch of these coconut gems.
Coconut Macadamia Nut Bars
Chewy coconut macadamia nut bars adapted from Gourmet magazine
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars
- 2 cups flour
- 2 sticks cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 half stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canned coconut cream (I use Coco Lopez)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, large pieces halved
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease or line 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick foil.
- In food processor, pulse together flour, 2 sticks of butter and powdered sugar till butter is the size of small peas and mixture resembles cornmeal. Pat into bottom of prepared pan (the dough will be crumbly). Bake 20 minutes.
- Melt the half stick of butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar,and stir till dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour topping over crust. Reduce oven temperature to 325º and bake about 40-50 minutes till bars are lightly browned.
- Cut into bars when cool. These freeze well.
Lambeau, our first pup, circa 2010
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.