Gorgonzola Mushroom Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
This Gorgonzola and Mushroom Stuffed Beef Tenderloin is an exquisite, restaurant-worthy entree you can make at home! Perfect for the holidays.
Beef is always on our celebratory menus and this elegant beef recipe will get rave reviews from your family or guests!
Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
I was all set to make Beef Wellington or this Classic Prime Rib for Christmas, but I decided to save those for other celebrations. Instead, I made this stunning Gorgonzola Mushroom-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with a Red Wine Sauce, a recipe given rave reviews by one of my girlfriends.
I butterflied and stuffed the roast early in the day, then brought it out while the oven was preheating to allow the beef to take off some of its chill. Roasted then sliced into thick pinwheels, my family inhaled this spectacular beef, though the picky hubby needed to know exactly what was in the filling. I think he spotted a mushroom slice and worried what other offending ingredients I might have sneaked in.
How to Make a Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
It’s become a family tradition to have beef for Christmas. I’ve roasted a prime rib and many beef tenderloins. But adding a filling made this one stand out.
I hadn’t butterflied a tenderloin before, but asking for a center-cut piece helps avoid having to mess with the tail end. Two carefully placed slices allowed me to turn the tenderloin into a flat piece of beef capable of receiving stuffing.
The second part of this Fine Cooking video will demonstrate the technique better than any description I could provide. You can always ask your butcher to do this for you.
Though the hubby loved this, he used his own special sauce made by Heinz. I’d recommend the red wine sauce as it complemented the beef magnificently.
File this stuffed beef tenderloin recipe away for the next birthday, Valentine’s Day, Father’s Day, or whenever you want to treat someone to a special meal just because. I highly recommend buying the best beef available, which is Certified Angus Beef brand, whose beef goes through the most stringent scrutiny to be certified.
You may need these supplies to make this Stuffed Beef Tenderloin recipe:
More Terrific Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
- Italian Roast Beef Sliders from From Valerie’s Kitchen
- Mushroom Topped Pepper Steak for Two
- Southwestern Crusted Roast Beef from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Beef Tenderloin with Gorgonzola Sauce
- How to Make Roast Beef in the Oven from CopyKat Recipes
- 3 pounds Beef Tenderolin (center cut preferred
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for exterior of roast
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup currant jelly
- 1 cup red wine (Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Butterfly beef by cutting tenderloin horizontally down length of beef, about ½-inch from top of beef, to within ½-inch of opposite side; open flat. Repeat with other side.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms in until tender and liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt.Cool 5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle filling mixture over beef leaving a 1-inch perimeter uncovered. Tightly roll up beef, beginning with long side. Tie beef with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals.
- Place seam side down on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Insert oven-proof thermometer in thickest part of beef.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes until thermometer reads at 135º.
- Cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes. The temperature should rise to 140º. Make sauce while beef is resting.
- Heat all ingredients in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes until reduced and syrupy.
Total time: 1½ hours
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 644Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 35g