Try these scrumptious Bourbon Maple Glazed Carrots for dinner guests or holiday entertaining. A few simple ingredients make for a special occasion side dish!
Bourbon Maple Glazed Carrots
Years ago, I was given a bottle of bourbon-spiked maple syrup. Besides being a decadent pancake topper, I whipped up these elegant glazed carrots for an upscale holiday side dish. Glazing carrots is such an easy way to turn a normal vegetable side dish into something company worthy!
Not Just for Holidays
These bourbon maple glazed carrots can definitely be reserved for dinner guests or family holiday dinners, but they’re so easy to make, I wouldn’t recommend it. These carrots are a super simple side dish that takes a bit of time to cook since reducing the glaze takes about 30 minutes after already having to cook the carrots. But ask my hubby, and he’d tell you they were worth the wait!
Tips for Cooking Glazed Carrots
The addition of maple syrup and bourbon give some zest to ordinary carrots. If you don’t like cooking with alcohol, feel free to leave it out. If you’re serving to children, the long reducing time should boil out almost all the alcohol.
- Make sure the carrots are covered in the chicken broth, syrup, bourbon and butter so they all cook at the same rate.
- For a vegetarian version, feel free to use vegetable stock or salted water.
- Reduce the glaze to about 1 cup. The time will vary depending on how vigorously the liquid is boiling.
- If your chicken stock is salty, you may not need to add any extra salt to the carrots. Taste before seasoning. A little black pepper is recommended.
More Holiday Side Dishes:
- Melting Sweet Potatoes from Foodie with Family
- Easy Cranberry Sauce from Wine and Glue
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes from A Family Feast
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Bacon from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Spinach Souffle
- Praline Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
- Orange Glazed Carrots
- More Side Dish Recipes
You Might Like:
- Round Quiche Dish
- Pillivuyt 2-1/4-Quart Porcelain Serving Bowl or
- Pillivuyt 3-quart Serving Bowl (lovely French ceramic bowls)
- Wusthof Classic 6-inch Wave Knife
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into thick diagonal slices
- 4-5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste (taste before seasoning)
In a large saucepan, combine carrots, chicken stock, maple syrup, bourbon and butter. Bring to a boil, then decrease to a simmer till carrots are tender, 30-40 minutes.
Remove carrots to a bowl, leaving the liquid in the pan. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil, and reduce the mixture to 1-1 1/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Return carrots to the pan and add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 1032mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 16g