This Spinach Almond and Berries Salad is the perfect way to showcase the best of summer’s bounty!
With the crunch of nuts, sweetness of berries plus refreshing greens, this amped up Strawberry Spinach Salad is divine!
My friend, Wendy, of Weekend Gourmet, has started a new blogging group called The Salad Bar. Each month we will blog about a salad with a different theme. June brings us berries, so I remembered the cover photo of a cookbook I bought over a decade ago in Colorado. It featured a bed of greens with a sprinkling of colorful berries. A sweet vinaigrette pairs delightfully with the fruit laden salad. That was my inspiration for this Spinach, Almond and Berries Salad.
Summer Berry and Greens Salad
Growing up, my mom would try to shake up the ordinary tossed salad. We expected tomatoes, cucumbers and other raw ingredients. We weren’t thrilled when she tossed in some leftover steamed green beans and were appalled if fruit was involved. But the first strawberry spinach salad recipe changed our minds. Since then, I’ve been a huge fan of berries in salads.
To make this lovely version, spinach and bib lettuce were tossed with perfectly ripe strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Toasted slivered almonds and green onions were added to the mix before tossing with a sweetened sherry vinaigrette. Ideal for a picnic, barbecue or just a weeknight dinner at home. Make sure to scroll down to see all the creative salads featuring the luscious spring crop of berries.
With Cathy, The Dutch Baker’s Daughter, and Wendy, when they
were in Indiana for the Super Bowl.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 8 ounces butter lettuce
- 4 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Make the dressing by whisking all ingredients except oil. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking constantly. Set aside.
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Before serving, add the vinaigrette and toss.
‘); // ]]>