A dessert twist on the classic mint after dinner drink, this Frozen Grasshopper Pie with an Oreo Crust is one of our traditional 4th of July desserts. My family would revolt if I skipped this winner!
Dessert for Mint Lovers
My children all adore the combination of mint and chocolate. Bill? Well, not so much. He won’t even taste anything with mint in it. Except for toothpaste. This is the sort of logic I have to deal with on a day to day basis.
Like no cherries except for Cherry Koolaid. I think I married a 5-year-old in an adult’s body. But I digress. There is always a stash of Thin Mints in our basement freezer for the kids for those mint cravings…but once a year, I whip up this grasshopper pie.
Frozen Grasshopper Pie
I started making this frozen delight for our Fourth of July gathering about five years ago using my mom’s recipe. An Oreo crust is topped with a mixture of marshmallow creme, creme de menthe and whipped cream and then frozen. Easy, peasy. One neighbor, in particular, always gets an extra slice to take home.
His wife, Sharon, is “helping” him diet by limiting her baking, and I got an email about a week before the holiday with his annual request for this grasshopper pie. And he denies even liking desserts! Anyone who is that fond of one of my desserts gets a huge slice PLUS a doggy bag for a midnight snack.Print
This frozen minty grasshopper pie will delight mint fans of all ages!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 24 Oreos, crushed (or Nabisco Famous Wafers plus 2 T sugar)
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/4 c creme de menthe
- 1 7-oz jar marshmallow creme
- 2 c heavy cream, whipped
- Place cookies in food processor and pulse till crumbs form. Combine crumbs and butter. Press into 9-inch springform pan, over bottom and partially up sides of pan.
- In a mixing bowl, gradually add milk and creme de menthe to marshmallow cream, whisking until blended (or use hand mixer). Fold in whipped cream. Pour over crust. Freeze.
Yield: 10-12 servings
Total Time: 8 hours including freezing time
Total time does not include freezing time.
More Grasshopper Recipes You’ll Love:
- Grasshopper Chocolate Bark from Brown Eyed Baker
- Grasshopper Poke Cake from Shugary Sweets
- Shamrock Shooters with Creme de Menthe
- Grasshopper from Wine and Glue
- Grasshopper Mousse (see below)