Mulled apple cider is a warm fall drink, perfect for removing the chill from your bones! It’s an easy drink to make and yet, special enough to serve to company.
With holiday parties on the horizon, it’s time to plan for some terrific food and drinks, and mulled apple cider is clearly a winning choice.
Mulled Apple Cider
Our winters are chilly around here, and I sip on hot tea day in and day out to keep warm. Miss Izzy, our lab puppy, loves to sit on my feet and that, too, helps keep me toasty. When I had a group of nearly 50 of my volunteer friends over for a coffee, we had the requisite pot of coffee brewing, a teapot filled with piping hot water and a pot of fragrant and delicious mulled apple cider.
It look only minutes to prepare, but my friends went back for seconds and more. It was a huge hit!
What is Mulled Cider???
The word mulled is a British term for wine heated with sugar and spices, which was most often served around Christmas. It has expanded to mean more than just alcoholic beverages, but hot drinks like this cider enhanced with fruit and spices.
Tips for Making Mulled Apple Cider
This mulled apple cider recipe is totally customizable to your tastes.
- Leave out the cloves or star anise if that’s your preference.
- A couple of lemon slices (or peel) can be added in addition to the oranges, but make sure to taste for sweetness.
- If you’d rather add honey to sweeten instead of sugar, go for it.
- And for an adult gathering, feel free to pour in some rum!
- Serve it up with some shortbread cookies or scones for a special treat.
I hope you enjoy this hot toddy as much as my friends and I did. Whip up some mulled apple cider for your next fall or winter gathering!
A couple of things you may need to make this mulled apple cider:
More Hot Beverage Recipes You’ll Love:
- Kahlua Hot Chocolate from Damn Delicious
- Spiced Cranberry Hot Toddy from She Wears Many Hats
- Italian Hot Chocolate from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate from Love and Olive Oil
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate from Nutmeg Nanny
Mulled Apple Cider
This jazzed up apple cider makes for a terrific autumn or winter drink.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 16-32, depending on portion size 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: American
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 2 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- A pinch of allspice
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split
- 1 naval orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar, optional
- Pour apple cider into large pot. Add spices, vanilla bean and orange slices. Heat to just a simmer and let cook on low to allow the flavors to meld for about 15-20 minutes. Taste and add sugar if desired.
- Serve hot.
Update: This giveaway is over.
Just in time for your black Friday shopping, I’ve partnered with some wonderful blogger friends to offer this cash giveaway. One lucky winner with a Paypal account will be the recipient of $500!!! I’m so excited; I hope you are, too! Please follow the Rafflecopter prompts to enter.
My Lovely Co-Sponsors:
Be sure to stop by the following blogs and thank them for sponsoring this amazing giveaway:
A Dash of Sanity, The Love Nerds, Like Mother Like Daughter, Play Party Pin, Sugar & Soul, Tried and Tasty, Let’s Dish Recipes, Cupcake Diaries, Cooking and Beer, That Skinny Chick Can Bake, Recipe Runner, Happy Food Healthy Life, Love Bakes Good Cakes, Lady Behind the Curtain, Bread, Booze & Bacon, The Lemon Tree Dwelling, Cravings of a Lunatic, Food Folks and Fun, , Our Mini Family, and Lemoine Family Kitchen.