Even though my children are grown, we still have family movie night on Christmas Eve. This Christmas, we’ll sip on this rich, easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate and revel in the spirit of the holidays while watching a traditional Christmas film.
Hot cocoa is perfect for winter family gatherings. It’s a fabulous way to warm up after an afternoon of sledding, skiing, caroling or while sitting around a roaring fire on a cold evening.
Easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate
My childhood memories of the holidays include hours on the nearby Arboretum’s sledding hill with my dad and three sisters. His job was to keep our excited, wound up little souls out of my mom’s hair as she prepared our Christmas feast. We loved returning home, rosy cheeked, and having a mug of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows to help warm us up.
Granted, it was milk heated on the stove top, then doctored up with Hershey’s syrup. But we savored every drop. My easy peppermint hot chocolate is a bit more indulgent, but just as memorable!
Cocoa and Movie Night
Hot chocolate is featured in numerous holiday movies from The Polar Express to The Santa Clause to The Holiday (a rom-com that my daughter and I love!). So grab your favorite family holiday flick, cook up some of this ultra-creamy peppermint hot cocoa, and reminisce about the joys of seasons past. The true spirit of the holidays is to focus on those near and dear to you and this time spent together is priceless.
Lagostina’s New Opera Cookware
I used my shiny, new, Italian-made Lagostina saucepan to simmer whole milk and cream with rich Dutch cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate. Each sip of this peppermint hot chocolate was like drinking warm, silky smooth melted chocolate ice cream. A dreamy indulgence!
Special Features of this Stunning Set:
- Lagostina’s Opera Cookware is hand crafted in Italy.
- A 10-piece set includes: 8″ and 10″ fry pans, 1 3/4-qt. and 2 1/2-qt. saucepans with lids, 3 1/2-qt. casserole with lid, 5 3/4-qt. stockpot with lid.
- They’re made of 18/10 stainless-steel exteriors for strength, beauty, and low maintenance with flared edges for drip-free pouring.
- The pieces nest for compact storage construction with highly polished finish inside and out.
- They’re designed with elegant contours, heat-resistant side and lid handles, and gleaming stainless-steel exteriors for striking beauty in any kitchen.
- I love the durable, high-quality construction—3-layer LagoFusion base consists of thick, encapsulated layer of aluminum for fast, even heat distribution; a high-heat process fuses both metals for a perfect bond between body and base, ensuring optimal heat diffusion throughout with no hot spots or scorching.35
- They’re all oven and broiler safe up to 500 degrees F; safe for all stove tops, including induction; plus they’re dishwasher-safe.
- This awesome 10-Piece Lagostina Cookware set is available at Williams-Sonoma.com and would make a fabulous holiday gift for any of the cooks in your life!
- 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder (regular cocoa powder can be used, too)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4-1 teaspoon peppermint extract (to taste)
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, to serve
- Shaved chocolate, to serve
- Marshmallows, to serve
Simmer 3/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Add milk and cream and return to a simmer. Continue cooking and whisk in chocolate and sugar until chocolate is melted and sugar dissolves.
Mix in vanilla and peppermint extract. Start with 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract, taste and add more to get the intensity you desire.
Use a ladle to pour hot chocolate into mugs or cups. Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with crushed candy canes, marshmallows, and/or chocolate shavings if desired.
Serving Size:1 mug
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 57mg Carbohydrates: 43g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 36g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g
Lagostina Opera Stainless-Steel Casserole with Lid Giveaway! CLOSED.
This giveaway is open to those with a US mailing address who are 18 and older. Follow the prompts on the Rafflecopter below to enter (make sure you visit LagostinaUSA on Facebook to be officially entered). There are other options to increase your chances. Good luck!!!