I’ve been baking The Black Beast for nearly a decade. This sublime French flourless chocolate cake, also known as La Bete Noire, is dark, decadent and out of this world delicious.
The Black Beast
This recipe for the Black Beast is making an unprecedented third appearance on this blog. It’s my absolute favorite flourless chocolate cake recipe.
Unlike the others (and, yes, I’ve shared a lot of flourless chocolate cakes), this one starts with a hot simple syrup which is incorporated into the melted butter and sugar before the eggs are added. La Bete Noire is truly exquisite, smooth, creamy and perfect for any chocoholic.
Decadent Chocolate Desserts are the ultimate way to end a dinner party, celebrate Valentine’s Day or any special holiday! Serve a wedge of this la bete noire with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, chocolate shavings, berries or all three. Bookmark or pin THIS rich and dreamy flourless chocolate cake for your next, impossible to ignore, chocolate craving!
La Bete Noire: A Special Occasion Dessert
I served this at a bridal shower I helped host last month. A chocolate dessert was a must!
The bride to be wasn’t shy about sharing her life goals when she was in elementary school. Her dreams were to be a chocolate taste tester or the president of the United States. Turns out she’s neither, yet, but a talented, gracious young woman establishing her career as an attorney.
With her affection for chocolate in mind, I turned to my absolute favorite flourless chocolate cake or la bete noire for our brunch grand finale. This sublime dessert is the perfect way to end a holiday dinner, celebrate an impending marriage or just usher in a new season! If you love chocolate, file this Black Beast recipe away for your next special occasion. I guarantee you’ll hear swooning.
Used to Make This Recipe:
More Amazing Chocolate Desserts:
- French Silk Chocolate Cake from Beyond Frosting
- Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Baileys Chocolate Mousse from Recipe Girl
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Molten Chocolate Cake from Saving Room for Dessert
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Other Chocolate Favorites:
La Bete Noire AKA The Black Beast
A dense, luscious flourless chocolate cake adapted from Bon Appetit.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 16
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French, French-American
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) butter, diced
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Sweetened whipped cream, shaved chocolate and/or fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom of the pan with a parchment round; butter parchment. Wrap 3 layers of heavy-duty foil around the outside of the pan, bringing it up to the top of the rim. Combine 1 cup of water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Stir till sugar dissolves, then simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently melt the 9 tablespoons of butter and the 18 ounces of chocolate in the microwave. Whisk till smooth. Whisk sugar syrup into chocolate, and cool slightly. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk till well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan in a large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan.
- Bake cake until the center is just set about 50 minutes. Remove from water bath; transfer to rack. Cool completely in pan.
- Heat cream in microwave till hot. Remove and add chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cake while still in the pan. Gently shake pan to distribute ganache evenly over top of cake. Refrigerate cake in pan until ganache is set, about 2 hours.
- Carefully run a knife around pan sides to loosen cake; release sides. Serve wedges with sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries or shaved chocolate.
- Calories: 389kcal
- Sugar: 35g
- Sodium: 35mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 98mg