Coconut fans will swoon for these outrageously delicious Coconut Mounds Bars! A graham cracker crust topped with a sweet, creamy coconut filling then chocolate ganache creates one irresistible dessert!
Coconut Mounds Bars
I mentioned my love for Coconut Mounds Bars in a previous post. This recipe was my contribution to a cookbook compiled for our moms decades ago, when I was in first grade. Held together by metal brackets and covered in wood grain patterned shelf paper, this recipe book was my resource when an urge for coconut hit. Unfortunately, this gem disappeared from my childhood home when I was desperately craving coconut.
The Best Chocolate Coconut Bars
My friend, Susan, of Schnitzel and the Trout, hearing about my predicament, came to my rescue. My only other attempt at recreating these bars fell short. They were good, but either my gustatory memory had failed or these just weren’t as decadent as the original recipe.
Susan sent me this recipe, which I tweaked by baking in a smaller pan, therefore doubling the filling, and replacing the topping of melted chocolate chips with a glossy ganache. Well, the verdict is in: these are BETTER than the original!! Thanks so much, Susan!!!
Update: When my sisters were purging our family home getting it ready to be sold, they found the missing, beloved cookbook with recipes compiled by my first-grade teacher, Mrs. McGinnis, and tucked it away for me. It was only months later that my mom passed away, so I took these bars to her Celebration of Life party. These babies stole the show! Coconut fans MUST make these gems!!!Print
Coconut Mounds Bars
Outrageously delicious coconut bars that outshine Mounds candy bars!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: cookies, bar cookies, dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Adapted from recipe provided by my friend, Susan
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) Eagle Brand sweet and condensed milk
- 7 ounces coconut
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cream
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Mix crumbs, powdered sugar and butter and pat into an 8 x 8 pan (may line with non-stick foil for easy removal). Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour sweet and condensed milk into a microwave-safe bowl, and heat till quite warm to touch. Stir in coconut. Spread evenly over crust. Bake 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before icing.
- Melt chocolate and cream in the microwave, using stopping and stirring at 30-second increments, till smooth. Give the mixture a good whisk and pour over coconut layer and spread to cover.
- Chill before cutting for a cleaner cut. If chocolate is too hard, it will crack unless you first score it with a hot, dry knife.
Note: these bars were cut after refrigeration, but freezing the bars first will make for a cleaner look.