Coconut fans will swoon for these outrageously delicious Coconut Mounds Bars with a graham cracker crust, coconut filling, and a chocolate ganache topping! Coconut Mounds Bars! It’s easy to create this rich, irresistible coconut dessert at home!
Coconut Mounds Bars
I mentioned my love for Coconut Mounds Bars in a previous post. This recipe was my contribution to a cookbook compiled for our moms decades ago, when I was in first grade. Held together by metal brackets and covered in wood grain patterned shelf paper, this recipe book was my resource when an urge for coconut hit. Unfortunately, this gem disappeared from my childhood home when I was desperately craving coconut.
The Best Chocolate Coconut Bars
My friend, Susan, of Schnitzel and the Trout, hearing about my predicament, came to my rescue. My only other attempt at recreating these bars fell short. They were good, but either my gustatory memory had failed or these just weren’t as decadent as the original recipe.
Susan sent me this recipe, which I tweaked by baking in a smaller pan, therefore doubling the filling, and replacing the topping of melted chocolate chips with a glossy ganache. Well, the verdict is in: these Coconut Mounds Bars are BETTER than the original!! Thanks so much, Susan!!!
Update: When my sisters were purging our family home getting it ready to be sold, they found the missing, beloved cookbook with recipes compiled by my first-grade teacher, Mrs. McGinnis, and tucked it away for me. It was only months later that my mom passed away, so I took these bars to her Celebration of Life party. These babies stole the show! Coconut fans MUST make these gems!!!
Adapted from recipe provided by my friend, Susan
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 14 ounces sweet and condensed milk (1 can)
- 7 ounces coconut
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cream
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Mix crumbs, powdered sugar and butter and pat into an 8 x 8 pan (may line with non-stick foil for easy removal). Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour sweet and condensed milk into a microwave-safe bowl, and heat till quite warm to touch. Stir in coconut. Spread evenly over crust. Bake 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before icing.
- Melt chocolate and cream in the microwave, using stopping and stirring at 30-second increments, till smooth. Give the mixture a good whisk and pour over coconut layer and spread to cover.
- Chill before cutting for a cleaner cut. If chocolate is too hard, it will crack unless you first score it with a hot, dry knife.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 126mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 29g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g