Mounds Brownie Cupcakes
A decadent, mini treat for fans of chocolate and coconut! These Mounds Brownie Cupcakes have built-in portion control! You’ll need it!
Mounds Brownie Cupcakes
I remember when my love affair with Mounds bars began. I was in 7th grade and my junior high homeroom went on a weekend ski trip to Afton Alps on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border. Were there really Alps in the Midwest? And what were those teachers thinking? Pure craziness on both accounts. We were let loose all day teaching ourselves to ski, or fall, in my case, then goofing around in the ski lodge when we needed refueling. Having no one to tell me what I had to eat, my mid-day sustenance consisted of a Mounds bar…and I think I may have even had a second for an afternoon snack. I had found a new favorite candy bar. No wonder I still have a fond spot for recipes like these Mounds Brownie Cupcakes!
Coconut Filled Brownie Cupcakes
I spied this Mounds brownie recipe on Desserts Required, a blog written by my friend, Betsy Cohen…and knew I would find an excuse to bake up a batch. I changed the method for mixing the brownie batter, but otherwise, the recipe is unchanged. The coconut filling is frozen for a few minutes so that it can be shaped and properly positioned in the middle of a traditional brownie batter.
I always love a delicious surprise when biting into a chocolate treat…especially when it’s coconut! I took these to Colorado when I went to visit my sister and parents this past weekend. I knew I could come up with an excuse to bake these babies. They were a HUGE hit! If you’re a coconut lover, you must make yourself a batch ASAP.
More Coconut Desserts
Besides these rich brownie cupcakes with the yummy coconut filling, I have a few more coconut dessert recipes you’d love!
- Coconut Mounds Bars
- Italian Cream Cake
- Coconut Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Samoa Cheesecake
- Coconut Bars
- Coconut Cupcakes
- More Dessert Recipes
Mounds Brownie Cupcakes
A decadent filled cupcake inspired by the iconic Mounds candy bar!
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 ounces sweetened shredded coconut (a scant 1 cup)
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To make filling, whisk together all filling ingredients except coconut till smooth. Add coconut and mix till blended. Line a baking sheet with foil. Scoop out approximately 2 teaspoons of filling and place on pan till you have 12 mounds. Adjust sizes so all the filling mounds are approximately the same size. Freeze while preparing the brownie batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 12 capacity muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Microwave the butter and the two sugars in a heat safe bowl for about a minute, stir and microwave up to another 1 1/2 minutes or till all the butter is melted and mixture is starting to bubble. Carefully remove bowl to work surface.
- Whisk in chocolate chips till melted. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt just till combined. Remove filling from freezer and using your fingers, shape into round balls (diameter should be less than the size of the bottom of the muffin tin).
- Place about 2 tablespoons of brownie batter into the bottom of each muffin tin, then add the filling and follow with another scoop of batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Let cool in pans before removing cupcakes to cooling rack.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
49 Comments on “Mounds Brownie Cupcakes”
Dark chocolate and coconut is a favorite flavor combination!! These are divine!!
I love coconut!! oh my gawd, that shredded coconut filling!! Amazeballs!!
I remember the first time I made something with dark chocolate and coconut, such a great combo. These is a phenomenal recipe Liz! I think many would eat Bill’s portion!
I’d make a potato gratin
What a beautiful roaster! I would love to make a number of dishes in this roster, starting with a roast, then moving on to a scalloped potatoes dish, with some bubbly cheese on top (must have that cheese), and of course ending with a dessert selection. I would like to try these Mounds Browne cupcakes, but in layered bar form (I am a little lazy). What a wonderful way to end a meal, chocolate and coconut!
I would try this recipe it looks fantastic and I would use it all the time after it’s a great pan to own
You just made me dinner and now here is the dessert! I can never get enough coconut!
I love these! Not only are these cupcakes with a hidden surprise, they involve brownies too.
Oh my goodness these sound decadent! I bet you could easily make them almond bars by just adding an almond to your mounds brownie. Lots of baking going on in your kitchen this holiday. I am sorry for my delay but just getting back around. I hope you a re doing well. Take Care, BAM