This copycat Levain Cookie Recipe has more than a quarter-pound of dough per cookie and makes for a rich, delicious indulgence. They’ll catch your attention by their size, then keep it after your first bite!
At our house, dessert is a given. We are chocolate chip cookie aficionados and these Copycat Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies are always a hit!
Levain Cookie Recipe
Who doesn’t love those big, soft bakery cookies? If my cookie jar was empty, these Bakery Style M&M’s and Chocolate Chunk Cookies are the sort of sweets the hubby would be trolling the bakery for. To be completely honest, I had never heard of the Levain Bakery or their apparently world-famous chocolate chip cookies until I started blogging.
Levain Bakery is touted as the home of New York City’s most famous cookies. They’re especially known for their 6-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookies, like those I’m sharing today.
How this Levain Cookie Recipe Differs from Other Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe for the coveted Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies differed from the cookies listed above in both the ingredients and technique.
- These cookies include a small amount of cornstarch in the ingredients and no vanilla extract (though I’d definitely add either some vanilla bean paste or extract). Adding cornstarch lowers the amount of gluten per cookie, making a more tender cookie.
- The butter was mixed in cold (no easy task) then large dough balls were formed and frozen briefly.
- The recipe includes both chocolate chips and walnuts. Note, I omitted the nuts and replaced them with more chocolate chips. My picky family would not be pleased with any crunch in their cookies.
- PRO-Tip: If you don’t want to use walnuts, add 2 more cups of chocolate chips as a replacement.
- These cookies are huge. The dough is divided into just 12 cookies making them supersized and taking 20 to 25 minutes to bake, unlike ordinary-sized cookies taking approximately 10 minutes.
- PRO-Tip: I used a scale and divvied up 5 full ounces of dough per cookie. Keeping them a consistent size helps them bake evenly.
- Slightly underbaking makes for soft, gooey middles. Baking time will vary depending on your oven.
- Note: these cookies are best eaten within a couple of days of baking them. But they freeze well and you can pull out one at a time for your cookie fix! As with all cookies, store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
- To refresh your cookies or just to get the chocolate gooey again, place one cookie on a napkin or microwave-safe plate and zap for approximately 10 seconds. Timing will vary depending on your microwave.
BIG Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This Levain cookie recipe did not spread into pancakes as they baked, but, instead, were thick mounds of chocolate chip goodness. Bill pronounced them terrific, but there is nary a nut-free chocolate chip cookie that he would snub!
Nick was home for the week, and he asked if he could take some Levain chocolate chip cookies back to campus. He rewarded himself with one after his workouts. I suspect he will finish off the remainder in no time! If you’re a fan of these famous cookies, perhaps this copycat recipe is just what you’ve been looking for!
More Copy Cat Recipes You’ll Love:
- Copy Cat Andes Mints from Big Bear’s Wife
- Cracker Barrel Campfire S’more from CopyKat Recipes
- Copycat Girl Scout Tagalong Cookies from A Dash of Sanity
- Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Cosmic Brownies
- More of the Best Cookie Recipes
This recipe was first shared in August 2017. Photos and text were updated in 2021.
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped toasted walnuts*
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line two cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the cold butter and sugars with an electric mixer (if using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment). Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix till combined. Add vanilla extract, then the dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Roll into balls and freeze for 10 minutes. Place 6 dough balls on each cookie sheet and bake for about 20- 25 minutes, until the edges are golden. Cool about 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smithcraft Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set 18/8(304) Steel Material Heavy Duty Measuring Cups Set of 8 Pack for Baking and Kitchen gadget
Nicewell Food Scale, 22lb Digital Kitchen Scale Weight Grams and oz for Cooking Baking, 1g/0.1oz Precise Graduation, Stainless Steel and Tempered Glass
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan
Reynolds Cookie Baking Sheets Non-Stick Parchment Paper, 25 Sheet, 4 Count
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 625Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 4gSugar: 40gProtein: 9g