At our house, dessert is a given. We are chocolate chip cookie aficionados and these Copycat Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies are always a hit!
Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Who doesn’t love those big, soft bakery cookies? If my cookie jar was empty, these Bakery Style M&M’s and Chocolate Chunk Cookies are the sort of treat the hubby would be trolling the bakery for. To be completely honest, I had never heard of the Levain Bakery or their apparently world-famous chocolate chip cookies until I started blogging.
How this Levain Bakery Cookie Recipe Differs from Other Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe for the coveted Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies differed from the cookies listed above in both the ingredients and technique.
- These cookies include a small amount of cornstarch in the ingredients and no vanilla extract (though I’d definitely add either some vanilla bean paste or extract).
- The butter was mixed in cold (no easy task) then large dough balls were formed and frozen briefly.
- The recipe includes walnuts, which I omitted. You may know, the picky family would not be pleased with any crunch in their cookies. But feel free to add some in for a true copycat cookie.
- These cookies are huge. The dough is divided into just 12 cookies making them supersized and taking 20 to 25 minutes to bake, unlike ordinary-sized cookies taking approximately 10 minutes.
Mounds of Chocolate Chip Cookie Deliciousness
These did not spread into pancakes as they baked, but, instead, were thick mounds of chocolate chip goodness. Bill proclaimed them terrific, but there is nary a nut free chocolate chip cookie that he would snub!
Nick was home for the week, and he asked if he could take some back to campus. He rewarded himself with one after his workouts. I suspect he will finish them off the remainder in no time! If you’re a fan of Levain Bakery’s cookies, perhaps this copycat recipe may be just what you’ve been looking for!
More Copy Cat Recipes You’ll Love:
- Copy Cat Andes Mints from Big Bear’s Wife
- Oatmeal Cream Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Copycat Girl Scout Tagalong Cookies from A Dash of Sanity
- Cosmic Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cracker Barrel Campfire S’more from CopyKat Recipes
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or discs)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line two cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the cold butter and sugars with an electric mixer (if using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment). Add the eggs, one at a time and mix till combined. Add vanilla paste or extract, then the dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Roll into balls and freeze for 10 minutes. Place 6 dough balls on each cookie sheet and bake about 20- 25 minutes, until the edges are golden. Cool about 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 625Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 4gSugar: 40gProtein: 9g