Chiles Rellenos casserole is a super simple, irresistible Tex-Mex dish that is pure comfort food! This Easy Chiles Rellenos Recipe with cheese, eggs and peppers makes an easy meatless weeknight dinner.
Easy Chiles Rellenos Casserole
I first made this riff on the classic Tex-Mex dish years ago, when my parents were in town for a visit. My dad went back for seconds and then thirds. Hot, cheesy and mildly spicy, this chiles rellenos casserole sure hit the spot on a brisk autumn day. I was a huge fan as well.
Growing up in small-town Iowa, many, many moons ago, tacos were about as ethnic as we got as far as cooking went. I would have loved a Tex-Mex Cobb Salad or even a Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Stew but, alas, we got hard-shelled corn tacos filled with ground beef! Granted, my dad could eat a dozen of those, but he grew to love more traditional Mexican cuisine as time went on.
Ridiculously Easy Casserole Recipe
Where the typical chiles rellenos consists of stuffed and fried poblanos served with homemade tomato salsa, this shortcut version is much less labor-intensive. Whole mild peppers (right out of the can!) are layered on the bottom of a baking dish, then topped with a generous amount of Monterey Jack and cheddar before pouring on an egg and cream mixture.
The last step is to drizzle on a small can of tomato sauce before baking. There is no way to mess this casserole recipe up! Of course, you can use a homemade or jarred salsa in lieu of the tomato sauce, but for a quick meal, this easy chiles rellenos casserole is perfect.
Chiles Rellenos Casserole Recipe Notes:
If you don’t have half and half on hand, you can:
- Mix 1/2 cup whole milk + 1/2 cup light cream
- Mix 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Mix 2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream.
More Recipes Featuring Peppers That You’ll Love:
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers from Spend with Pennies
- Balsamic Peppers and Onions Recipe from Cookin’ Canuck
- Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipe from The View from Great Island
- Beef Tacos
- Asian Beef with Peppers
- Oven Roasted Peppers
To make this easy Chiles Rellenos casserole recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cans of whole green chiles, 4 ounces each
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease 9 x 9 inch (or comparable sized) casserole dish.
- Rinse chiles to remove seeds. Drain on paper towels.
- Layer chiles on bottom of casserole dish. Top with mixture of cheeses, reserving ½ cup for top. Whisk together half and half, eggs, flour, salt and cumin. Pour over cheese. Drizzle top with tomato sauce and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, till browned and cooked in center. Cool a few minutes before slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 615Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 1208mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g