Easy Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Chiles Rellenos Casserole is a super simple, irresistible vegetarian Tex-Mex dish that is pure comfort food!
This Easy Chiles Rellenos Recipe with cheese, eggs, and peppers makes an easy meatless weeknight dinner.
Why You’ll Love this Chile Relleno Casserole
- This casserole takes the work out of traditional chiles Rellenos!
- The ingredients are layered instead of stuffing the peppers.
- It can be eaten for any meal and at any time of the day!!
I first made this riff on the classic Tex-Mex dish years ago, when my parents were in town for a visit. My dad went back for seconds and then thirds. Hot, cheesy, and mildly spicy, this chili Rellenos casserole sure hit the spot on a brisk autumn day. I was a huge fan as well.
Growing up in small-town Iowa, many, many moons ago, tacos were about as ethnic as we got as far as cooking went. I would have loved a Tex-Mex Cobb Salad or even a Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Stew but, alas, we got hard-shelled corn tacos filled with ground beef! Granted, my dad could eat a dozen of those, but he grew to love more traditional Mexican cuisine as time went on.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Chiles Rellenos?
Chiles Rellenos is a Mexican dish made of cheese-filled mild green chiles that have been coated with an egg batter. they are then fried until the outside is crisp and the cheese is melted.
How Do You Pronounce Chiles Rellenos?
Pronounce this dish CHEE-lehs rreh-YEH-nohs.
Do You Need to Peel Your Whole Green Chiles Before Using Them?
Yes, if your canned chiles still have the peel, slip them off since the skins can be tough and difficult to digest. Also, remove any seeds.
Tips for Making this Chile Relleno Bake Recipe
- Where the typical chiles Rellenos consists of stuffed and fried poblanos served with homemade tomato salsa, this shortcut version is much less labor-intensive. Whole mild peppers (right out of the can!) are layered on the bottom of a baking dish, then topped with a generous amount of Monterey Jack and cheddar before pouring on an egg and cream mixture.
- The last step is to drizzle on a small can of tomato sauce before baking.
- If you’d like a carnivore version, saute and drain some ground beef or even chorizo sausage, add Tex Mex/taco seasonings if using ground beef, and add an extra layer in the middle.
- Or even add a layer of refried beans if that’s your jam!
- I love the combo of Monterey Jack and cheddar in Tex-Mex dishes, but you can use any melty cheese you like.
- Feel free to roast your own poblano peppers if you have access to fresh peppers. Just remove the peels and seeds before using them.
- There is no way to mess this casserole recipe up! Of course, you can use a homemade or jarred salsa in lieu of the tomato sauce, but for a quick meal, this easy chile Relleno casserole is perfect.
If you don’t have half and half on hand, to make one cup, you can:
- Mix 1/2 cup whole milk + 1/2 cup light cream
- Mix 3/4 cup whole milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Mix 2/3 cup skim or low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream.
You May Also Like:
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers from Spend with Pennies
- Balsamic Peppers and Onions Recipe from Cookin’ Canuck
- Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipe from The View from Great Island
- Beef Tacos
- Asian Beef with Peppers
- Oven Roasted Peppers
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cans of whole green chiles, 4 ounces each
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Grease 9 x 9 inch (or comparable sized) casserole dish.
- Rinse chiles to remove seeds. Drain on paper towels.
- Layer chiles on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with the mixture of cheeses, reserving ½ cup for the top.
- Whisk together half and half, eggs, flour, salt, and cumin. Pour over cheese.
- Drizzle top with tomato sauce and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until browned and cooked in the center. Cool a few minutes before slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 615Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 1208mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g