S’mores Cookie Bars are a cookie bar dessert combined inspired by a campfire favorite. With a graham cracker crust and topping, Hershey bar and marshmallow cream filling, they’ll hit your sweet spot!
If you like s’mores, you’ll go crazy for this S’mores Cookie Bars recipe. Layered with all the components of classic s’mores, they’re a decadent treat you can eat all year long!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.
S’mores Cookie Bars
I was reminded of this yummy chocolate and marshmallow dessert recipe this summer when one of my dear friends called me with a question. Her daughter was getting married up in Michigan and she and her husband wanted to make these for a pre-wedding event at their gorgeous lakeside home. I had to shake the cobwebs out of my brain to remember when I first baked these bars.
This was well before Danielle and I were sharing each other’s recipes each month, but I knew it came from her blog, Hugs and Cookies XOXO. Well, apparently they were a success—whew. I can only imagine eating these glorious s’mores cookie bars while watching the sunset on the beach. I thought it was time for me to make them again!
Tips for Making S’mores Cookie Bars
- I love making cookie bars for one specific reason. Instead of scooping out cookie after cookie, rolling the dough and baking one sheet then another, the bar cookie dough is pressed into a baking pan and popped in the oven. Of course, when the bars are layered, it’s a tad more work.
- For this recipe, the base layer and crumble topping is the same mixture, so that saves a step. Plus, no extra bowls are needed for the marshmallow cream and Hershey bars filling. Whew.
- I like lining my baking pans with non-stick aluminum foil. Besides preventing the bars from sticking to the pan, the non-stick foil doubles as a sling to help remove the bars from the pan to cut, plus it allows for easy cleanup!
- If you don’t have non-stick aluminum foil, just line your pan with regular foil and spray with your favorite non-stick cooking spray.
- PRO Tip: Use a wet knife to spread the marshmallow cream. It’s sticky and often a challenge to make an even layer.
- The first time I made this S’mores Cookie Bar recipe, I completely covered the marshmallow cream with cookie dough. But this time, I let some marshmallow peek through. I also sprinkled a few chocolate chips over the top, just to hint at what was below the surface. If you’re looking for stackable bars, you may want to press down on the top before baking to level the surface.
By the way, the whole family gave these bars their seal of approval. Not that I was worried!
More S’mores Inspired Dessert Recipes:
Check out a few more delicious s’mores inspired desserts!
- Pretzel S’mores Bites, from Erin at Well Plated – an addictive bite sized treat!
- Bourbon Bacon S’mores Cookies, from Julianne at Beyond Frosting – delectable sandwich cookies filled with marshmallow and bourbon chocolate sauce.
- S’mores Eclair Cake, from Jennifer at Princess Pinky Girl – a luscious layered no-bake dessert with marshmallow cream and chocolate frosting.
- S’mores Cookie Cake
- S’mores Cream Puffs
- S’mores Ice Cream Sundae
- More Dessert Recipes
- More Cookie Bars Recipes
Hope you enjoy the S’mores Cookie Bars recipe! This recipe was originally shared in March, 2016, but I’ve updated the photos and text.
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 standard Hershey bars
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Line 8 inch pan with nonstick foil or regular foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Mix until blended. Press half of dough into prepared pan.
- Lay chocolate bars over dough. Spread with marshmallow creme. A wet knife will make this process easier. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow; carefully press to form a layer (you can completely cover the marshmallow creme or leave some openings). Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, then remove from pan using foil and cut to serve.
May double recipe in a 9 x 13 pan.
Recipe adapted from Hugs and Cookies.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 153mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 26g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g