This Patriotic Skillet Cookie is an easy, festive dessert that young and old alike will adore! Adding M&M’s and chocolate chips make this a winning dessert!
This chocolate chip cookie skillet cookie is simply made from a homemade cookie dough enhanced for the holidays with red, white and blue M&M’s. Baked in a skillet and served in wedges, it’s a fun cookie cake recipe that will become a holiday tradition!
Patriotic Skillet Cookie
My kids always loved those grocery store cookie cakes that their friends brought to school for birthday celebrations. That is, until I figured out I could make a much tastier version in a deep dish pizza pan or skillet!
First you need a terrific cookie dough batter. Check. Then add a generous amount of chocolate chips and M&M’s. Did you know that you can find packages of Red, White and Blue M&M’s this time of year? I bought mine at Target. Pat into a prepared skillet and bake! This patriotic skillet cookie is super easy and it won’t last long!
Tips to Make This Patriotic Cookie Cake Recipe
The process to make this holiday dessert is quite simple. Mix the cookie dough as directed. Grease your skillet, spread the cookie dough evenly with an offset spatula, then bake. While the cookie cake is still warm, press more M&M’s and chocolate chips onto the surface for a more prominent red, white and blue display!
- Most of my cookie recipes start with room temperature butter, but this cookie base, adapted from America’s Test Kitchen, calls for melted butter.
- Another unusual step in this recipe is to stir the batter after the eggs are added, then let the batter sit a minute or two and stir again, creating a glossy batter before adding in the dry ingredients. I’m not sure the food science behind this step, but if the results are any indication, it’s worth doing!
- I like to mix in the baking soda before adding the flour so that it’s fully incorporated. This prevents you from biting into the bitter taste of a clump of baking soda that didn’t thoroughly dissolve.
- PRO-Tip: Use a wooden spoon to mix in the baking soda and flour so you don’t overwork the gluten. Using a mixer will change the texture of your skillet cookie.
- Check on your cookie cake in the oven a few minutes before the timer goes off. It should be puffed in the middle and golden brown. I’d rather pull it out a minute early than have this patriotic skillet cookie over-baked.
- PRO-Tip: I either reserve some chocolate chips and M&M’s or pull some extras out of the bags to garnish after the cookies come out of the oven. That way the patriotic colors are more prominent.
- Even though this version is for American patriotic holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day, you can easily switch up the colors of your M&M’s and it will be perfect for any occasion!
- Try red and green M&M’s for Christmas, orange and brown for Halloween, reds and pink for Valentines Day! My Spiderweb Cookie Cake is an example of how to shake things up for Halloween.
Barn Light Electric Dinnerware
Did you notice the sharp-looking enamel dessert plates? My mom had a full set of multicolored enamel plates and I remember eating lunches off her festive dish collection. I must say Barn Light Electric’s dinnerware is top-notch, with a nice weight and beautiful sheen. The pieces are versatile enough to take on a family picnic, use for meals at home and even for having friends over for a casual dinner.
This high-quality enamelware is handcrafted from commercial grade metal, then coated with porcelain. I suggest the white and gray palette is lovely for a neutral table, but there are also some amazing colors to add a little pizzazz. I’m a huge fan of shades of blue and green in solids and/or fun speckled patterns definitely caught my eye. This dishware is made to order in the USA.
Below you can see the beautiful pieces I selected: a set of 8 ounce enamelware cups with a graphite exterior and white interior finish and a set of enamelware dessert plates with a graphite bottom finish and a white top finish. I’ve been eyeing the speckled mixing bowls AKA the Build-Your-Own Graniteware Bowl Collection for my next purchase! Check out Barn Light’s website and see what fabulous goods they have to offer.
More Patriotic Cookies You’ll Love
- Patriotic Monster Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Patriotic Funfetti Cookies from Rachel Cooks
- Patriotic Fortune Cookies from Southern Plate
- Red White and Blue Pinwheel Ice Box Cookies from Just a Taste
- Holiday Recipes
- 12 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus more to garnish
- 3/4 cup M&M's, patriotic colors, plus more to garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10-inch skillet with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
Microwave the butter in a large mixing bowl using 15 second increments, until melted. Whisk brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt into melted butter until smooth. Whisk in egg and yolk until smooth.
Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and shiny.
Stir flour and soda into butter mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chip and M&M's.
Press the dough into the prepared skillet, then smooth with an offset spatula. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cookie is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 585Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 3gSugar: 54gProtein: 6g