Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
I’d categorize my family as cookie monsters. And the bigger the cookie, the better. This Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie was a huge hit x 4!
About a week after I whipped these up for dessert, the hubby, in a most serious tone, commented, “You know that skillet chocolate chip cookie you made? You can make it again anytime.” He is a chocolate chip cookie aficionado. They must be chewy and chock full of chocolate chips. Semi-sweet preferred.
This was not rocket science, just an easy recipe in a new vessel. Using mini cast iron skillets allowed each recipient to have their own personal pan cookie, but this recipe can also be baked in a single skillet and cut into wedges.
Use Your Favorite Skillet or Mini Skillets
I used four 5-inch cast-iron skillets this time, but you can utilize what you have at home. A 9-inch skillet makes a really thick cookie, and the wedges look like slices of pie! A 12-inch will make a thinner cookie, just adjust your cooking time.
The cookie should be golden brown and set in the middle. I don’t mind them slightly underdone—that just makes them gooier! If you prefer a variety of chocolate chips or nuts in your chocolate chip cookies, go right ahead and tweak to your preferences.
I love to serve these slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla and drizzle of fudge sauce. I have a feeling your family will ask for a repeat performance from you, too.
- 14 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips (use your favorite or a variety which could include milk chocolate chips, semisweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chips).
- Preheat oven to 375º. Lightly spray 4 5-inch cast iron skillets with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. Add sugar and brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix till combined. Add egg and egg yolk, whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough into prepared pans. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. a 9-inch skillet could take 25-30 minutes.
- Cool slightly before cutting or serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream and fudge sauce if desired.
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
We prefer our skillet cookie slightly underdone. If you want a less gooey center, cook for a few minutes longer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
Photo circa 2013
I love, love this jacket:
Besides this giveaway, Albion has offered my readers an exclusive promotion for 15% off any purchase over $50 if you use the code skinnychick15 . This code is valid through Thursday, June 13, 2013.
Disclaimer: I was provided with a workout jacket for review. Albion Fit is providing the same item to one reader. Opinions voiced are my own. The top two photos of workout clothing are courtesy of Albion Fit.
Update: Congrats to Janelle, the winner of this nifty workout jacket!