With a graham cracker crust, brownie center and marshmallow topping, these S’mores Brownies are destined to become a favorite treat!
S’mores Brownies with a Graham Cracker Crust
This month’s Improv Challenge theme was to create a dish using the ingredients Chocolate and Marshmallows. S’mores lovers will be delighted with these S’mores Brownies…a crumbly graham cracker crust topped with a fudgy brownie and toasted marshmallows.
We spent many family vacations camping out west…and when we weren’t camping we were picnicking around a roaring campfire. We hit most of the National Parks: Banff, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain, the Grand Canyon…all in either our Plymouth station wagon without a radio or air conditioner or the Big Blue Dodge van. S’mores were always a given when we were dining outdoors. I liked mine charred and gooey all the way through. But these S’mores Brownies are so much better than their rustic inspiration. Totally irresistible!
A Home Run with This S’mores Dessert
My youngest was home from college when I made these, and they sure disappeared fast. He has not been impressed with dorm food thus far…I have a feeling this sort of treat does not make their menu. I even sampled a couple…it’s the graham cracker crust that tempts me every time! If you’re a fan of s’mores inspired desserts, these S’mores Cookie Bars and S’mores Cookies are tasty, too.
These monthly challenges are hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of the Harried Homemaker. If you’re interested in joining us, please stop by her blog to check out the details.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the brownie layer:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
For the topping:
- Approximately 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil (or foil sprayed with Pam). Set aside.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter in a bowl and mix till well combined. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake for 7 minutes. Allow crust to cool while making brownie layer.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 400º.
- In the microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir often, till smooth and melted.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir in eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, till mixture pulls away from sides of the bowl. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 18+ minutes or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan and middle looks set*.
- Let cool completely, then sprinkle with enough marshmallows to cover the surface of the brownies in one even layer.
- Place pan under the broiler, about 6 inches from element. Watch very carefully and broil for about 2 minutes till marshmallows are toasted. Times may vary with different ovens...so do not leave the broiler unattended.
- Cool and cut with a hot knife to serve.
If using a box brownie mix as substitution, follow baking instructions on the box.
*Note: 18 minutes worked well for my oven, but other testers have needed to bake their brownies longer.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g