Lemon bars are a popular dessert that is easy to make, but this is the BEST Lemon Bars Recipe, bar none. The buttery shortbread crust is topped with a thick, luscious layer of citrus for a sublime treat!
The Best Lemon Bars Recipe
The first time I made this spectacular lemon bars recipe was for a gathering of my volunteer friends. We spend hours and hours cleaning and manning a spectacular home that is decorated to the hilt by Indianapolis’ top interior designers. Needless to say, when the two weeks it’s open to the public comes to a close, we have reason to celebrate.
Back in 2010, my co-director and I treated the gals who helped organize and work the events we planned to an evening at a spa. My contribution was a savory brie appetizer and my best lemon bars!
Lemon Ranks High
There is no doubt that chocolate is the gold standard for decadent desserts at our house. Fruit pies rate near the top, too. Though he snubs lime sweets, the hubby always raves when I whip up a lemon dessert. Lemon bars are about the easiest way to experience the sweet-tart nirvana of a lemon dessert! And just to feel virtuous, top each with half a ripe strawberry! Double the fruit for a nice dose of vitamin C. This Best Lemon Bars Recipe is a must make!!!
Lemon Meringue Pie is another family favorite with its mile high, billowy meringue topping as is this dense, delicious Lemon Pound Cake. I’ve also had my eye on this spectacular Lemon Meringue Cheesecake, Lemon Zucchini Cake and these Blueberry Lemon Crumble Bars.
Useful kitchen tools to make the best lemon bars recipe:
The Best Lemon Bars Recipe
Luscious lemon bars with a shortbread crust.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cold butter, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries, cut in half, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the crust ingredients until the butter is in very small pieces . Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake about 15 minutes or until the crust just starts to brown.
- To make the filling, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon juice, zest, flour, and salt. Immediately pour over hot crust when it comes out of the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 more minutes or until topping is firm and lightly browned.
- Cool, then cut a sliver off all sides before sprinkling with powdered sugar and cutting into bars. Garnish with berries if desired.
You may double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan or triple and bake in a jelly roll pan.
More Citrus Recipes:
Citrus, whether oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit or even some more exotic varieties like kumquats and yuzu, add a lovely tartness to a multitude of recipes. Sweet or savory, main dishes, cocktails or dessert, I’ll collected a few new citrus flavored dishes for you to peruse.
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf