Avoid artificial ingredients by roasting a Rotisserie Style Chicken right in your own oven!
You’ll love this chicken so much, you’ll want to roast more than two! One to eat and one to save for soups, casseroles, chicken salad and more!
Rotisserie-Style Chicken Recipe
Bill is more likely than not to grab a rotisserie chicken from the deli when I’m out of town. Moist and well seasoned, it is certainly a decent dinner alternative when you don’t feel like creating a meal from scratch. But have you ever thought of making a rotisserie-style chicken recipe at home? It’s quite simple, but it does require a bit of planning as the seasoning needs to be applied to the chicken the night before you roast it.
Dry Brine for an Oven Roasted Chicken
No special equipment is needed, just a long list of seasonings to mix and apply before a long and low stint in the oven. I’d call it a dry brine. Salt, along with paprika, three different peppers, thyme, garlic, and onion powder were combined and allowed to work their magic for at least 6 hours. I stuffed the cavity with an onion, then roasted the chicken at only 250º for 3 1/2 or more hours till done. This low and slow technique kept the meat moist and tender. I found that the skin needed a little oil after the chicken was removed from the oven, so feel free to baste it at the last minute or rub the skin with a tablespoon of butter before letting it rest. The family was thrilled with this meal…in fact, next time I’ll roast two!
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- 5 Tips for Juicy Roast Chicken from Foodie Crush
- Roast Chicken with Mustard Potatoes
- Chicken with Garlic and Parsley
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Saltimbocca Pinwheels
- More of the Best Chicken Recipes
Ingredients Needed for this Whole Roasted Chicken:
- 4-pound roasting chicken (or somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 pounds)
- kosher salt (do not substitute table salt unless you decrease the amount)
- onion powder
- dried thyme
- white pepper
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- medium onion
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4-pound roasting chicken, giblets removed
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of the chicken. Double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250º.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 3 1/2 hours or till its temperature reaches 180º. Baste with some of the drippings or rub skin with a tablespoon of butter, then let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Yield: 4 servings
Total time:10 hours
Total time does not include dry brining overnight.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 728Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 2005mgSodium: 1892mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 124g