Chicken enchilada soup puts Mexican comfort food into a delicious and easy slow cooker soup recipe. The frigid days of winter call for warm, spicy comfort food. This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup packs a little heat and a lot of deliciousness!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links. This helps me keep my kitchen stocked with butter and chocolate!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
The warming power of a spicy soup should not be underestimated. Or a spicy slow cooker dish like this tempting Crock Pot Mexican Casserole. On a cold winter’s day, a cup of piping hot chili or chicken enchilada soup brings comfort from the tips of your chilly toes all the way through to your bones.
Jalapenos and cayenne pepper do most of the work, and those can certainly be adjusted to your palate. But there is so much more to this lovely soup. It is made in a slow cooker, so most of the cooking time is hands-off. A good percentage of the ingredients are just dumped into the crock pot, so that’s a definite bonus.
Just note that there’s a simple, homemade enchilada sauce that you need to make to add to the other ingredients. You can always whip that up a couple days ahead of time and keep it parked in the fridge so you’re set on soup day!
Pile on the Toppings!
This soup is yummy on its own, but why not make it even more delicious by adding some fun toppings. Shredded cheese is a must, and if you’ve made an uber-spicy version, a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt is also imperative. Cilantro, chips, diced onion, more peppers are all terrific options, too.
Just save this slow cooker soup recipe for when the next cold front is heading your way—you won’t be disappointed! What’s your favorite wintertime soup??
A couple of things you may need to make this chicken enchilada soup recipe:
More Spicy Comfort Foods to Warm You Up:
- Sweet and Spicy Orange Salmon from Sweet Basil
- Chicken Jambalaya Soup
- One Pan Spicy Garlic Shrimp from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti
- Sweet and Spicy Cranberry Meatballs from The Cookie Rookie
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
A hearty, spicy Tex-Mex chicken soup made in a slow cooker. Adapted from The Kitchn
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Chicken, Soup
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 3 garlic cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can of whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
For the soup:
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 to 3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts (may quickly brown skin side if desired)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, optional
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapeño and cook until soft. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar and cook for about a minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Add the corn, beans, and chicken to a 5-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cover and set on low for 6 to 7 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return shredded chicken to the crock pot. Give the soup a taste and season the soup with additional salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, if needed.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, and cilantro.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.