Spaghetti Pie with Sour Cream
Spaghetti Pie with Sour Cream is a family-friendly pasta dish. Easy to make, this is delicious comfort food with an Italian flare!
This Spaghetti Casserole is bound to be a hit with your family! With only pasta, gooey cheese, spaghetti sauce, sour cream, and ground beef, kids love it!
Why You Must Make
- This easy baked spaghetti pie is an Indiana favorite for family dinners.
- Who doesn’t love the combo of pasta, ground beef, spaghetti sauce, and gooey mozzarella?
- You can easily leave out the meat and have a vegetarian version.
I’d never heard of spaghetti pie till I moved to Indiana. This seemed to be a popular dish among families here and is typically made with a crust of spaghetti, a layer of cottage cheese followed by ground beef, spaghetti sauce, and cheese. I clipped a recipe from the paper years ago; this version appealed to me because it was a spaghetti pie with sour cream instead of cottage cheese.
This Italian inspired pie is one of those dishes I whip up when I have some leftover spaghetti sauce or marinara in the freezer. My favorite part of this Spaghetti Casserole is the very edge of the crust, slightly eggy, with a few crispy noodles.
- Kitchen Staples – Eggs
- Spaghetti – Cooked in salted water, drained and cooled
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Use real Parmesan cheese, not the green can.
- Sour Cream – May substitute cottage cheese, Ricotta or even cream cheese. I prefer full fat sour cream.
- Ground Beef – Cooked with 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, crumbled and drained. May use Italian sausage instead or leave out any meat for a vegetarian version.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Shredded works well.
- Meatless Spaghetti Sauce or Marinara – Use leftover homemade sauce or a good quality grocery store brand.
This Easy Spaghetti Pie is family-friendly and got my family’s seal of approval. It can be tweaked in numerous ways to make it your own.
- I love this version with sour cream instead of cottage cheese. But feel free to use cottage cheese, ricotta, or even cream cheese instead.
- Use Italian sausage instead of ground beef or throw in some sauteed mushrooms (that would be taboo at my house!).
- I simply season the ground beef with salt. Adding Italian spices would jazz this up even more.
- You can also add some minced onion and garlic while sauteing the beef for additional flavor. I like keeping it simple for an easy weeknight meal.
- If you want to make this spaghetti pie ahead of time, it freezes well.
- Just wrap the unbaked “pie” with foil and/or plastic wrap and freeze. When you’re ready to serve, bake at 325º for 1½ hours or till cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
How to Make Spaghetti Pie
- Make a crust composed of cooked spaghetti noodles, 2 beaten eggs, and some Parmesan cheese.
- Next, arrange the pasta mixture in a greased pie dish.
- Then, layer sour cream, cooked ground beef, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes and dinner is served!
What’s not to love about this pasta pie? This is definitely a family-friendly recipe. It would be easy to double or triple and bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan for a crowd. My Italian Poutine Pie is a similar recipe with a hash brown instead of pasta crust. Plus, this Skillet Taco Pie is comfort food from my childhood.
Frequently Asked Questions
We place wedges of leftover spaghetti pie in the microwave, covered with plastic wrap. Zap at 30-second increments until heated through. If you want to heat a partially eaten pie, you can cover it with foil and reheat it in a 300-350° oven for 20-30 minutes or until hot.
The first spaghetti pie I tried was made with cottage cheese. That or ricotta cheese can be used instead of sour cream.
You May Also Like:
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup from Melanie Makes
- The Best Meatloaf
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Chicken Feta Casserole
- Cheesy Baked Pasta with Prosciutto
- More Pasta Recipes
- More Entree Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and cooled
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked with 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, crumbled and drained
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 8 ounces meatless spaghetti sauce/marinara
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine spaghetti, eggs, and Parmesan. Pour mixture into pie plate.
- Gently press down the middle of the spaghetti mixture so that there's room for the fillings with an inch or two around the perimeter left alone forming the rim/crust of the pie.
- Top with sour cream, then ground beef, spaghetti sauce, and finally the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
The next time you make spaghetti or marinara sauce, reserve a cup so you can make this recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 181mgSodium: 980mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 36g