This Vegetable Beef Soup is chock full of veggies, given a flavor boost from roasted garlic and super hearty with orzo and Parmesan. Plus it’s just plain delicious! Perfect for dinner with leftovers doled out into thermoses for a homemade, back to school hot lunch.
Vegetable Beef Soup Packed with Veggies
I usually make this soup in January. After all the decadent desserts, marbled beef, and buttered, well, buttered everything over the holidays, it’s the perfect remedy. Ideal when there is snow, ice, and bone chilling temperatures, a piping hot bowl of vegetable beef soup is also perfect for back to school lunches. This recipe makes a big batch and like my Chili with Black Beans, it only gets better as it sits overnight in the fridge. Baked Potato Soup is another hearty favorite.
Tweak with Your Family’s Favorites
This recipe can easily be adapted by leaving out the beef, altering the vegetables, changing up the pasta. Bill would prefer I eliminate the okra next time (and every time). Feel free to add green beans, black beans or any of your favorites. The roasted garlic gives an amazing depth of flavor but sauteing some minced garlic with the onions, carrots, and celery is another option. Make your version of vegetable beef soup perfect for your family’s tastes.
More Sunday Supper Hot Lunch Ideas
Hearty Hot Lunches
- Beef Stroganoff by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cheesy Chicken Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lasagna Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lunch Box Walking Tacos by Soulfully Made
- Potato Spinach Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Raisin Bread Chicken Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
- Tuna Quesadillas by Basic N Delicious
Soups and Stews
- 5 Bean Chili by My Blissful Mess
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Make It and Take It Burrito Bowl by Our Good Life
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Mason Jar Ramen by Bites Of Wellness
- Turmeric Cauliflower Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegetable Beef Soup with Roasted Garlic by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Used in This Recipe:
- OXO Non-Slip Cutting Board
- Wusthof Classic 6-inch Wave Knife
- All-Clad 4-Quart Casserole/Soup Pot (definitely investment cookware)
Vegetable Beef Soup
Adapted from a recipe by my friend, Robin
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 whole head of garlic, roasted (cut top of head off, drizzle with olive oil and roast at 375º for 35-45 minutes)
- 1 pound lean beef, cut into small pieces (I use beef tenderloin, but even ground beef will work)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups V8 Juice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dried orzo, cooked in salted water and drained, optional
- Parmesan, to serve
- Saute beef in olive oil till browned. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook till soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except pasta. Squeeze the roasted garlic head to release all the individual cloves. Stir and bring to a simmer for about an hour or till the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked. Before serving, add cooked orzo (if using), stir and allow to cook until warm.
- Serve with Parmesan.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.