Vegetable Beef Soup with Roasted Garlic
This Vegetable Beef Soup is chock full of veggies, given a flavor boost from roasted garlic and super hearty with orzo and Parmesan. Plus it’s just plain delicious! Perfect for dinner with leftovers doled out into thermoses for a homemade, back to school hot lunch.
There are many ways to make a Beef & Vegetable Soup. Cooking on the stovetop, in a crockpot or instant pot, and by shaking up the recipe with your favorite vegetables!
Vegetable Beef Soup Packed with Veggies
I usually make this soup in January. After all the decadent desserts, marbled beef, and buttered, well, buttered everything over the holidays, it’s the perfect remedy. Ideal when there is snow, ice, and bone-chilling temperatures, a piping hot bowl of vegetable beef soup is also perfect for back to school lunches. This recipe makes a big batch and like my Chili with Black Beans, it only gets better as it sits overnight in the fridge. Baked Potato Soup is another hearty favorite.
Making a Vegetable Soup Recipe with Beef
This vegetable beef soup recipe can easily be adapted by leaving out the beef, altering the vegetables, changing up the pasta. Bill would prefer I eliminate the okra next time (and every time).
- Feel free to add green beans, black beans, or any of your favorites.
- I often add orzo, but any small pasta is nice. Or even rice.
- The roasted garlic gives an amazing depth of flavor but sauteing some minced garlic with the onions, carrots, and celery is another option.
- Topping the soup with some grated Parmesan is a nice finishing touch. If you happen to have a rind of Parmesano Reggiano, toss that in the pot while cooking. It will provide a certain je ne sais quoi. I like to store a rind or two in the freezer just to add to soups.
- I make this 0n the stovetop, but you can saute the beef, onions, carrots, and celery and add those and the rest of the ingredients to a slow cooker and let it cook all day long. Even an Instant Pot will work, but you may have to adjust the recipe depending on the size of your appliance.
Make your version of beef & vegetable soup perfect for your family’s tastes. It’s the perfect meal on a chilly night.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1 whole head of garlic, roasted (cut top of head off, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and roast at 375º for 35-45 minutes)
- 1 pound lean beef, cut into small pieces (I use beef tenderloin, but even ground beef will work)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups V8 Juice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dried orzo, cooked in salted water and drained, optional
- Parmesan, to serve
- Saute beef in olive oil till browned. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook till soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except pasta. Squeeze the roasted garlic head to release all the individual cloves. Stir and bring to a simmer for about an hour or till the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked. Before serving, add cooked orzo (if using), stir and allow to cook until warm.
- Serve with Parmesan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1198mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 10gSugar: 13gProtein: 43g