Skillet Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches
This Skillet Italian Sausage and Peppers is the perfect filling for sandwiches! Add Provolone cheese, and dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Italian Sausage and Peppers
I’m hoping at the time of this recipe posting that I finally have a functioning, or even semi-functioning kitchen! Most meals this summer have been grilled or made on a hot plate. I’ll be happy not to have another burger until next summer!
This Irish girl did not grow up with sausage and peppers, so don’t be offended if it’s not a traditional Italian-American version. The picky hubby requested Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches for the second time this summer, so they obviously got his endorsement. Not too many of my experiments do!
How to Make Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches
This skillet recipe is super easy. Dinner can be ready in about 30 minutes. You can also make sausage and peppers in the oven, with the exact same ingredients. I’ll give you some tips on how to make the latter, too.
- Purchase some top notch mild Italian sausage links. Or even spicy if that’s your jam! We have a generous Italian friend who often gifts us with his homemade sausage. SO good as the flavors of the sausage are integral to flavoring the dish.
- I like using a yellow, sweet onion, but use your favorite variety.
- A rainbow of peppers, red, yellow and orange, makes a pretty presentation. Green peppers aren’t fully ripe, therefore are not as sweet. I prefer not to use them in this dish.
- I used Campari tomatoes, a sweet round tomato on the vine I can find in our supermarkets. Any good quality tomatoes will work. The tomatoes melt down and give a sauciness to this dish.
- I prefer using buns with the opening sliced through the top instead of the side, like a lobster roll. Or just turn your traditional hot dog bun so the slit is on the top, and then fill.
- Add the Provolone slices to your bun first. It will prevent your bun from getting too soggy plus the hot sausage and peppers will melt the cheese!
- Add more garlic, jalapenos, and/or crushed red pepper flakes if you want more heat in your sausage and peppers.
- PRO Tip: To make sausage and peppers in the oven, place all ingredients except balsamic vinegar on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, toss, and cook at 400º for about 40-45 minutes, tossing about halfway through. Add balsamic vinegar when there’s about 5 more minutes of cooking time, and toss again.
More Sausage Recipes You’ll Love
Stock up on Italian sausage when you purchase some for this dish. I love the look of these Stuffed Peppers from Kalyn’s Kitchen. And some of our favorite ways to use mild Italian sausages include my Sun-dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta with Broccoli, Italian Sausage and Pasta Soup, and Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage! This Sausage and Rice Casserole caught my eye as did these Italian Stuffed Mushrooms. Plus, you’ll love my Sheetpan Sausage and Peppers!
- 1 1/2 pounds mild (sweet) Italian sausage links, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow (sweet) onion
- 1-2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 6 Campari tomatoes, cut into quarters (small sweet tomatoes)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon good quality, aged balsamic vinegar
- 6 hot dog or lobster roll buns
- 12 slices of Provolone cheese
Add olive oil to a large skillet, then add sausages and brown over medium high heat.
Add the peppers, onions, tomatoes and seasonings and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
At the end of the cooking time, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, toss and cook another minute. Taste for seasonings and add more salt or red pepper flakes if desired.
To serve, open hot dog buns and top each with two slices of provolone cheese. Add hot sausage and peppers and allow their heat to melt the cheese. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 902Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 2199mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 50g