My family goes nuts for these Crispy Smashed Potatoes and requests them frequently. And making them is a breeze!
This addictive roasted potato recipe was a hit from day one. Terrific with burgers, grilled meat or chicken or with any meal you’d normally serve potatoes.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
The guys in this family are definitely meat and potato lovers. I discovered this method for making new potatoes about four years ago when many versions were floating around on the Internet. My version is adapted from a Fine Cooking recipe. These gems were perfect with our grilled brats–just the way kick off our Labor Day weekend. When I rattle off a list of potato options for our dinner and these crispy smashed potatoes are mentioned, there is a resounding, “Make those!” from my family. Probably their favorite version of spuds—though mashed potatoes are close behind.
Easy Smashed Potatoes Recipe
These irresistible spuds are a piece of cake to make! Just boil up a bag of new potatoes till just tender and allow to cool slightly. Place on a prepared baking sheet which contains some melted butter, smash with a meat mallet, sprinkle with kosher salt, drizzle with olive oil. A few grinds of black pepper are nice, too. Bake at a high temp and flip halfway through. Your family will be grateful for this east smashed potatoes recipe—just like mine!
- 11/2 pounds new potatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil to coat
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
- Boil potatoes till fork tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450º. Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Melt a few pats of butter in the pan while oven preheats. Swish it around so butter covers foil.
- Smash potatoes with flat side of meat tenderizer or large knife to about 1/2 inch thick. Place potatoes on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flip and roast till browned and crispy, about 20-25 minutes longer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 777mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 9gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g