This comforting Fresh Peach Pudding Recipe is more like a cobbler than a pudding and a tasty way to shake up your summer desserts.
At the end of last month, I purchased a partial bushel of peaches with the intent to freeze them. As I snacked on the juicy fruit, the desire to bake up a dessert overtook my previous intentions. I spotted this unusual Peach Dessert in my emails, and made it for a family dinner!
Fresh Peach Pudding Recipe
Though this recipe was called a pudding, it’s nothing like the smooth creamy chocolate or vanilla pudding that comes to mind. And the technique is definitely unusual.
Fresh peach slices are tossed with a cinnamon-spiced mixture of flour, sugar, leavening, and milk and placed in a casserole dish. Then a boiled sugar syrup is poured over the fruit before baking in a hot oven for nearly an hour. The aroma of peach pie filled my kitchen having to break a sweat rolling out a pie crust!
A Twist on Peach Cobbler
The first time I made this Peach Pudding was after my dear mother-in-law’s funeral. The time surrounded by our wonderful family provided much-needed comfort, but I was still exhausted upon our return home. At least that’s where I’m placing the blame as I forgot to add the milk to the batter.
The results were still delicious, much like a peach cobbler, but I remade it to make sure it worked properly as written. The looser batter was definitely an improvement. If you want a new stone fruit recipe, this “cobbler” is a winner.
You Might Need:
- Ice Cream Scoop (My favorite ice cream scoop)
- 8 x 8 Square Baker (Revol makes classic white ceramic bakeware which never goes out of style!)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400º. Grease an 8x8-inch or a comparable sized baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in the milk just until combined. Gently fold in the peaches. Spread into the bottom of prepared pan and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, both sugars, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugars are dissolved. Pour over the peaches. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 373mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 2gSugar: 55gProtein: 4g